JEWISH STUDENT LIFE COORDINATOR
Office for Religious and Spiritual Life (ORSL)
The Jewish Student Life Coordinator reports directly to the Director for Religious and Spiritual Life. The Jewish Student Life Coordinator will support Jewish students on campus as a member of the ORSL professional staff. This is a part time position for approximately 12 hours/week from the present until May 31, 2023. The salary is $25 per hour.
The mission of the Office for Religious and Spiritual Life (ORSL) is to support Occidental students, faculty, and staff in their pursuit of a meaningful religious and spiritual life while engaging religious pluralism with a commitment to mutual respect, awareness, and dialogue. ORSL encourages students to consider how their spiritual development intersects with their intellectual growth and to engage life’s big questions concerning truth, morality, religious belief, and social justice.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND GOALS
- Counsel students on religious, spiritual, ethical, social justice, religious pluralism, as well as vocational and personal matters. This includes engaging in an extensive outreach campaign to identify Jewish students and helping Jewish students to identify how their religious values and beliefs can inform their life choices.
- Provide guidance to students leading Occidental College’s Hillel as they implement programs to help Jewish students grow intellectually, religiously, spiritually, and culturally. This includes offering Torah study or other religious or spiritual guidance at executive board meetings.
- Lead Shabbat services and holiday celebrations.
- Provide a Jewish presence for students, staff, and faculty at interfaith events on campus such as the annual Interfaith Baccalaureate Service.
- Support ORSL interfaith programs and initiatives.
- Attend ORSL staff meetings and Division of Student Affairs meetings as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 1-2 years of prior relevant work experience, preferably in a campus setting. Master’s degree in Jewish non-profit, higher education, or education preferred.
- Experience building meaningful Jewish communities in a campus or related environment.
- A demonstrated excitement and interest in providing Jewish educational support to Jewish undergraduate students.
- Comfort with one’s Jewish self, and/or actively seeking to cultivate this part of one’s identity and able to support college students as they seek to incorporate Judaism into their identity.
- Ability to develop meaningful relationships with students and to help them plan activities to build Jewish life on campus. This includes empowering students with the tools and resources to create innovative programs that energize Jewish life on campus. It also includes the ability to analyze all aspects of the program to ensure that funds and resources are being used to maximize outcomes.
- An understanding and desire to promote Jewish pluralism.
- An appreciation for and understanding of the value religious pluralism and a commitment to interfaith cooperation on campus.
- A commitment to Occidental College’s Religious Life Policies which includes the following guiding principles: (1) promote the spiritual and religious growth of members of the Occidental community; (2) support the College community in its educational mission and pursuit of the highest standards of intellectual and moral excellence; (3) respect the ministries of others and the interfaith goals of the Office for Religious and Spiritual Life; and, (4) honor the religious freedom, privacy, human dignity, conscience, personal spiritual welfare, and religious traditions of all.
- Creative thinker who is open to new ideas and innovative solutions.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on a team.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to [email protected].
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or related medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Occidental is strongly committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and just environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their work are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the College’s strategic equity and justice goals and those from groups that are underrepresented in the field are particularly encouraged to apply.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. A comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: excellent health, dental, life, and retirement benefits; tuition benefits for the employee, spouse, domestic partner, and dependents; additional extras including use of gym facilities and the College Library. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https: //www.oxy.edu/offices-services/humanresources/benefits-information.
All qualified applicants will be considered for employment, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
Occidental College is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with qualifying disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application or employment process, please contact Human Resources ([email protected]).
As a condition of hire for a staff position and for appointment to a faculty position, Occidental College requires that all candidates who have received a conditional offer of employment complete an application form (if they have not already done so) and consent to a background check. Satisfactory completion of a background check, along with pre-employment verifications and references are required as a condition of employment, but only as permitted by federal, state, and local law, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.