Hillel Development Director - University Advancement
Tufts University Advancement Division is seeking a Hillel Development Director. The position reports to the Senior Director of Development for the School of Arts and Sciences and the Executive Director of Tufts Hillel.
Tufts University Advancement Division (UA) is a comprehensive development and alumni engagement enterprise with a staff complement of approximately 200 full time employees. Units within UA include development/fundraising, alumni engagement, stewardship and donor relations, special events, gift processing, research and prospect management, gift planning, corporate and foundation relations, and information systems and management. UA’s mission is to build strong relationships with Tufts University’s constituents, match donor interests with the University’s needs and priorities, and secure the financial resources necessary for Tufts to achieve excellence in teaching, research and scholarship. The Division is strongly committed to serving the academic agenda of the University and creating a culture of philanthropy in the extended Tufts community. Integrity, collegiality, diversity, accountability, mutual trust and respect for the individual, as well as the intentions of our donors, are the values that guide the work of the Division.
The Director will partner with UA and Hillel colleagues to ensure the successful completion of the University’s $1.5 billion capital campaign goal for Brighter World: The Campaign for Tufts by June 30, 2023.
What You’ll Do
The Hillel Development Director will design and implement a multi-year strategic development plan to raise the funds necessary to support Tufts Hillel's mission and vision, with a focus on continually growing annual support from Tufts and Hillel alumni, parents, and friends. They should enjoy working in a dynamic and fast paced environment, should be curious, flexible, and have the ability to meaningfully and genuinely engage both internal and external Hillel stakeholders as a compelling advocate for Hillel’s mission. Working closely with professional colleagues in Hillel and University Advancement they will manage and grow all aspects of a $750,000 annual fund program, including mail and email as well as face-to-face leadership level gift solicitations. Fundraising achievement for Hillel is counted as part of the current university-wide Brighter World campaign.
The Hillel Development Director must work to maintain collaborative and team-oriented relationships with colleagues in University Advancement, including major and annual gift officers, The Parents Giving Program, Gift Planning officers, and others. They will also need to work closely and collaboratively with their colleagues on Tufts Hillel staff and field-based colleagues at Hillel's Schusterman International Center. The Hillel Development Director supports the Executive Director of Tufts Hillel on fundraising efforts and on work with the Tufts Hillel Board of Trustees
The Essential Functions include:
- Develops and implements a Tufts Hillel fundraising marketing and communications plan, with a focus on increasing donor count and revenue, in collaboration with the Executive Director of Tufts Hillel and the Senior Director of Development.
- Identifies, and directly engages, cultivates, solicits, and stewards a portfolio of donors and prospects that have a capacity and interest in supporting Tufts Hillel with gifts of $1,000 or more.
- Collaborates closely with colleagues in various units within University Advancement to support the Tufts Hillel fundraising program, including the School of Arts & Sciences, and School of Engineering development officers, the university gift officers, the Annual Fund, and Advancement Gift and Information Services.
- Collaborates closely with colleagues on Tufts Hillel staff.
- Develops relationships with student leaders so as to gain a firsthand understanding and appreciation of the work they do and how Hillel positively impacts their lives.
- Represents Tufts Hillel at on-campus and off-campus events.
- Supports the Executive Director on all fundraising efforts.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5-7 years of related or transferable experience.
- Advanced interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Depth and breadth of knowledge and experience in philanthropy, along with success in innovating and growing a program.
- Proven track record of structuring proposals and securing annual fund leadership gifts.
- Interest and knowledge of Jewish life.
About Tufts Hillel
Tufts Hillel is the hub of Jewish life on campus. There is a place for everyone at Hillel. We provide a warm, welcoming environment where students can dive deep into identity and religious practice; take part in fun events and celebrations; develop lifelong friendships; and work towards making the world a better place. Tufts Hillel invites all to engage their curiosity, energy, and intellect – and perhaps have the most meaningful experiences of their college years.
Tufts Hillel is proud of its student-led staff-supported model, with over 100 student leaders running dozens of events and programs ranging from social action to religious celebrations. Tufts Hillel directly engages more than two thirds of the 1200 Jewish students on campus. Tufts Hillel currently has a professional staff of 8 with plans to grow to 10.
Tufts Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.