The Director of Operations will lead the day-to-day running of the business operations, administrative, facility, food services, HR, special events, and logistics of camp. This position reports to the Managing Director, works closely with all members of the full-time team during the year, and is a member of camp’s summer leadership team.
Location: The Director of Operations will be expected to make regular visits to the camp location at Putnam Valley, NY throughout the year on a weekly basis. Applicants should live close enough to Putnam Valley to effectively supervise site operations throughout the year or be willing to relocate. This position requires daily commute or on-site residence during the summer season June-August.
Start Date: Flexible start date between March 15 to May 1.
- Vision, create, and implement strategies for improving camp operations and systems
- Maintain, implement, and advance the sustainability of staff, mission, and other intangibles of the organization; ensure people, values, and systems are engaged with a commitment to long-term value, viability, and success
- Manage certain HR, staff management, facility, food and technology systems and/or staff
- Coordinate staff benefits, payroll, personnel policies, professional development opportunities, team building, and onboarding / offboarding of employees
- Manage day-to-day HR and personnel challenges
- Manage day-to-day AP and AR; supervise bookkeepers
- Manage food services and purchasing
- Supervise facility and physical plant services; Ensure smooth interaction between program and facility teams
- Vision, implement, and supervise all capital and construction projects
- Oversee procurement; especially large investments and vendor contracts
- Supervise the 4 full-time facilities and administrative staff
- Supervise the Summer operations seasonal staff departments (office, maintenance, hospitality, kitchen, operations)
- Be the go to in-house team member for coordinating logistics, finding solutions, and plugging holes
General Organization Expectations and Responsibilities [All Eden Village Camp staff]
- Maintain active and warm correspondence with parents and camper families during the summer and throughout the year
- Exude the warmth of Eden Village Camp to campers, parents, and staff alike at all times
- Make Eden Village Camp a warm and inviting place to be
Eden Village Camp has a dynamic year-round staff that supports each other to collectively prepare for and run camp each summer. This position requires flexibility, a willingness to learn new skills and take on responsibilities outside the Director of Operations immediate job description when needed.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate most of the following:
- Passionate about our mission; desire to grow an organization rooted in camp’s values
- People skills to establish strong relationships with parents, campers, and staff, foster community and a sense of shared purpose and meaning, and create and maintain collaborative relationships with community partners
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Significant experience in at least one of the following areas (and capacity to be trained in others): facility management, construction, food service, hospitality, operations, budgeting and bookkeeping, HR, employee management
- Attention to detail in documentation and maintaining records
- Proven ability to effectively train, lead and manage staff
- A track record of sound judgment and effective problem-solving in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to take on additional roles and responsibilities to accomplish a goal
- Desire to grow together with the organization over time
- Kind, enthusiastic, excited to try new things, generous, willing to be silly, flexible, creative, caring, and able to maintain a positive team attitude throughout a full work day
- 7+ years of professional experience (Eden Village is committed to valuing and supporting all types of labor. Applicants who have spent time outside of the professional workforce as full-time caregivers are encouraged to apply even if they don’t meet this requirement).
- Previous experience supervising staff
- Previous experiences in a camp, school or similar environment is preferred
This position must be able to commute daily or be in residence at Camp in Putnam Valley, NY throughout our summer season (early June - late August)
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary will be adjusted according to our professional staff salary scale for those whose professional experience greatly exceeds the posted requirements. If you meet some of the requirements, but not all, we encourage you to apply. The salary offered will be commensurate with our professional staff salary scale, which may be less than the posted salary
- Benefits package including generous paid time off, federal and Jewish holidays, health benefits bonus and health spending account, parental leave, yearly professional development funds, flexible schedule, and work-from-home option
- During the summer season, staff work 6 days per week. The office operates on a ~4 day week schedule from September to January to compensate. Daily work hours expectations scale up and down with the season.
- Camp Tuition for all sessions for eligible children. Child care at camp for younger children.
Hiring Process & Timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled
- We hope to have the selected candidate begin by March 15th, 2023
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and a short, informal cover letter at edenvillagecamp.org/jobs. Emailed applications will not be accepted.
In your cover letter, tell us why Eden Village of all places is interesting to you, your experience, and share about your passions. The cover letter should be informal. We will also accept video cover letters, if that’s more your thing.
At Eden Village Camp, we know that diversity supports resilience. On our farm, in our gardens, and throughout the natural world, diversity is what allows every living thing to thrive. Eden Village Camp approaches all that we do, including hiring, with this mindset.
Eden Village Camp recognizes the internal and external biases that often prevent or delay candidates holding marginalized identities from applying for positions. We deeply value the insight, perspective & experience brought by people from diverse backgrounds, including Black, Indigenous, Latine and Asian people; LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people; people with disabilities; Black Jews, Jews of Color, Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews. We also welcome applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, and cultural backgrounds. We encourage all who are interested in making the magic of Eden Village Camp come to life to apply.