Hazon is a national Jewish environmental organization that works to deeply weave sustainability into the fabric of Jewish life. Through our two retreat centers (Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center and Pearlstone Retreat Center), national and regional programming, and thought leadership, we connect people to the earth, to each other, and to Jewish tradition, in order to build thriving Jewish communities and a more sustainable future for all. Our work catalyzes culture change and systemic change across the Jewish world and beyond.
Hazon intends to merge with the Pearlstone Center in 2023. In the past few months, in preparation for the merger, the organization has developed a strategic framework that reorganizes the new entity’s core activities into four divisions: Retreats, Education, Climate Action, and Resources (Fundraising and Administration Team).
The Director of Marketing and Communications (MarCom) is a full-time role with full location flexibility. We have offices in NYC, Baltimore, Falls Village, CT, and Detroit. This individual will be supervised by and work closely with Hazon’s Chief Strategy Advisor.
The Director of MarCom will lead the MarCom team in the following areas:
Leadership & Management
- Staff Supervision and Development: Leading a team of two full-time and one part-time staff members (currently, with opportunity for team growth). Creating a culture of creativity, effectiveness, collaboration, transparency, and support.
- Strategy: Leading the development of a multi-faceted strategic marketing and communications plan, that includes timelines, deliverables, and metrics for success. The plan will be oriented towards multiple stakeholders including staff, potential and current program participants, retreat site users, current funders and potential funders, lay leaders, and Jewish leaders.
- Branding: Leading organizational branding efforts, including the integration of the two current websites (Hazon.org and Pearstone.org) into a new Hazon digital home. Note* This effort began in June 2022, with an outside consulting firm and will continue through early 2023.
- Communication Effectiveness: Developing and implementing strategies for evaluating marketing and communication effectiveness.
- Leadership: Working closely with Hazon’s Chief Strategy Advisor and other members of the senior leadership team to translate organizational vision/voice into reality.
Branding & Visual Identity
- Implement the new Hazon brand. Oversee the onboarding, training, and management of all staff members to use the brand appropriately and consistently. Oversee the development of templates for electronic and print publications, in multiple platforms.
- Oversee the design, creation, and implementation of all print and digital media for use in marketing, recruitment, outreach, and other communication functions based on content and specifications provided by the Retreat, Education, Action, and Resources (Fundraising and Administration Team) Divisions.
- Oversee the development of an effective and user-friendly photo/video library for use in all Hazon’s electronic and print communications. Ensuring that organizational events are appropriately captured by photography and video.
- Oversee the editorial calendar across channels (email, social media, website, paid advertising, and PR).
- Oversee audience segmentation strategy.
- Develop marketing strategies to acquire, engage, and retain program participants, funders, and other stakeholders.
- Develop regular channels of communication for email that tie back to web, social, etc. and track & improve open rates and clicks.
- Oversee the management of Hazon website including all content and design.
- Responsible for the user experience through a multiple stakeholder lens, continuing to keep the design and content of the site fresh and engaging.
- Ensure regular maintenance of the website.
- Develop tools to consistently evaluate the effectiveness of the website.
Hazon’s Director of MarCom will be a leader and strategic thinker, and responsible for shaping and driving Hazon’s communications, marketing and brand building strategy in ways that reflect its mission and vision, and tells the evolving story of Hazon’s work and impact. Specifically, this individual will have:
- A minimum of 7 years of marketing experience, with 3+ years of marketing leadership experience including: developing and implementing marketing and communications strategies, leading teams, and working across organizational departments.
- Worked closely with and deeply understands the work of professionals with expertise in digital/print media, graphic design, media relations, and social media engagement.
- Demonstrated success as a relationship builder, talented writer, strong listener, and storyteller.
- A deep personal alignment with Hazon’s mission of building a movement to deeply weave sustainability into the fabric of Jewish life.
- The ability and desire both to be a strategic thinker and participate in the day-to-day work of implementing a strategic marketing plan.
- Ideally, this individual will also have a deep understanding of the Jewish and/or environmental organizational landscape.
- Will have experience with many of the following platforms: WordPress, Salsa, social media, Hootsuite, and Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator).
The first step in applying for this position is to send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Director of Marketing and Communications” in the subject line. In addition, please attach to your cover letter responses to the following questions:
- We anticipate a start date of March 1, 2023, or sooner. Please let us know if that timing works for you.
- The salary range for this position is $80,000-$95,000. Please confirm that this aligns with your salary requirements.
- Have you applied for another position with Hazon in the past? If so, what role?
- How did you hear about this role?
- If currently employed, what is your current position? (Optional to respond)
- Hazon is dedicated to ensuring that we are creating a diverse candidate pool for all of our roles. Do you identify as coming from a community that historically has not been centered in North American Jewish institutional life (for example, Sephardic, Mizrahi, Persian, Russian, Latinx or other communities of color)? (Optional to respond)
Application deadline is rolling. We will close the position as soon as it is filled.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the criteria. Hazon encourages you to break that statistic and apply.
Hazon is strongly committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. Hazon will make all employment decisions for staff and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, alienage, citizenship, or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, compensation, training and development, benefits, promotion, demotion transfer, discipline, or termination. All Hazon staff, regardless of position, are expected to maintain and live up to the true meaning of nondiscrimination.
Do you have questions that are not answered here? Please feel free to reach out to our hiring manager at [email protected]