Temple Emanu-El of Haverhill is hiring a Hebrew classroom teacher for 3rd - 7th graders (multi-level classroom) for a 1-day per week Sunday Religious School program. We will implement a team-teaching model in a single classroom with a second elementary Hebrew teacher in the same classroom; and will be able to divide kids up as needed with high school Madrichim as helpers and independent tutors for students at different levels. Hebrew Classes run on Sunday mornings (9:00-10:30) in person at temple in Haverhill, MA. The full school session runs until noon. We encourage the use of multi-media educational resources, video, podcasts, and digital educational materials. Hebrew teacher will teach the first half of the day, with the option for an additional (different topic) class section for the second half of the school day (and additional salary) pending interest/skillset listed below. Position runs from September-early May 2023-2024.
Ideal Candidates Will:
- Have a least a basic knowledge of the Hebrew language (reading and prayer)
- Have a strong knowledge and understanding of Jewish practice and culture
- Have experience teaching and working with elementary-school age kids
- Be energetic, engaging, fun and be able to mix both non-traditional and traditional methods of teaching
- Have the ability to adapt curriculum to personal teaching style and enhance the provided curriculum
- Familiarity with non-traditional teaching modalities and digital/tech savvy (encouraged)
- Experience with IEP students and varying emotional and intellectual needs and learning styles (preferred)
Out of School Responsibilities:
- 4 Faculty Meetings after school (from 12:00 noon - 1:30 PM)
- 4 Family/ Student Shabbat Services (3 Friday Evenings and 1 Shabbat morning)
- Class Prep (minimum 1 hour per week)
- Summer Curriculum Prep/Development (suggested minimum of 5-10 hours before school begins)
- Attend Family Education events like Tu B'shevat Seder, Purim Carnival, Hannukah Party (usually runs concurrent to Sunday School hours)
- High School Program - We are also looking for someone to teach our High School seminar that meets from 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM on Sundays. Could be combined with the earlier morning Hebrew section or taught as a single class/section
- Song Leading - We are also hiring a song leader to do Music and Tefillah on Sunday mornings. Could be combined with this Hebrew section teaching.
Pay: ($30-$40/hour) Commensurate with experience
Job Location: Temple Emanu-El 514 Main Street Haverhill, MA
Please contact Religious School Director, Mindy Harris: [email protected]
Temple Emanu-El is a dynamic Reform congregation with a traditional, yet creative, orientation serving a community of diverse needs and backgrounds. Since 1937, members of the Jewish community of Greater Haverhill have joined together to express our Jewish identities through worship, education, social action, friendship, and socializing. As a congregation, we foster a deep commitment to a Jewish way of life and to the future of our community.