Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School of the Nation’s Capital is a PK-8 school in the heart of Washington, DC with two campuses, approximately 460 students, and 115 staff members. Our northern campus serves approximately 350 children grades 2-8. We are seeking a flexible, friendly, and action-oriented individual who enjoys working with students and adults alike to serve as a Security Team Lead and respond to the school’s security needs. This individual will supervise with two additional full-time security colleagues and several part-time security personnel across both campuses.
The Security Team Lead reports to the Chief Strategy and Operations Officer. The position is a 12-month, exempt position. Hours may vary depending on school need and are approximately 7:00am to 4:00pm during the school year and 8:00am to 4:00pm during the summer, with occasional early morning, weekend, or evening hours throughout the year based on school need and availability.
Overview of Job Responsibilities
At a high level, the role includes the following responsibilities:
- Lead the school’s security efforts, in concert with the Chief Strategy and Operations Officer.
- Supervise the rest of the security team, including scheduling and managing time sheets, coordinating trainings, ensuring procedures are being followed, etc..
- Serve as the main point person for security concerns.
- Serve as a key member of the Crisis Response Team, participating in all emergency/crisis planning, and serves as the liaison between the School and the local police and other emergency providers.
- Serve as a welcomer and greeter at the front desk at our North campus.
- Work with all levels of the school community to ensure safety of students, faculty, staff, guests, and facilities.
- Conduct regular rounds of the building to ensure physical security of the building and convey a friendly and visible sense of safety.
- Monitor intrusion devices, alarms, and cameras on a regular basis.
- Serve as a friendly greeter and first point of contact to the school when sitting at the front desk or stationed in the main lobby.
- Provide security coverage during school events.
- Support arrival and dismissal procedures in the afternoon.
A flexible and can-do attitude is a must. This is a new role which may evolve; as a mid-sized school, we pitch in where and when needed, whether to take on new tasks or to support a temporary need.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experiences:
- Prior experience in crisis or safety management, ideally in a law enforcement, school resource officer, or policing role.
- Prior experience working in a school environment, PK-8 educational setting, and/or with a Jewish community organization.
- The ability to communicate calmly, clearly, and compassionately with students as well as adults.
- EMT or current first aid and CPR skills preferred, or willingness to get trained.
- This position will require travel between our two campuses which are about 1.5 miles apart. The individual should have transportation to be able to commute between campuses at least twice daily. Should they have an up to date license and clean driving record, the school may be able to provide a vehicle to move between locations.
- Basic computer skills, ideally including use of the Microsoft Office Suite/MS 365 and GSuite.
- Security License/Certificate and/or College Degree (Associate/Bachelor in Criminal Justice).
- Ability to obtain Security Certificate or License or a valid District of Columbia Security Officers license issued by the DCRA.
- Satisfactory criminal background check and FBI background check.
- Ability to make independent and good judgment decisions within proper policy and procedures.
- Detail-oriented with satisfactory literacy and writing, documentation, communications and interpersonal abilities.
- Be able to work alone, responsibly and without supervision.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination. MILTON requires that all employees have completed the main series and at least one booster shot for COVID-19.
- Because work is performed year-round, inside and out, with exposure to inclement weather and unpredictable crisis situations, the individual must be physically fit enough to comfortably navigate a security round including climbing several sets of stairs in a three story building, navigate in the elements, and over different terrains including but no limited to carpet, tile, wood, concrete, asphalt, grass, curbs, uneven gravel and dirt which may sometimes be be uneven and slippery with water, ice, or snow in inclement weather.
- The ability to conduct fingerprints and to work with a fingerprinting company in the even that the school requires FBI fingerprint checks for employees.
- The individual must also be able to lift packages of 15-25 pounds.
Milton-Gottesman Jewish Day School is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions, including those related to recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion of individuals on the basis of their ability and job-related qualifications and without regard to race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, or breastfeeding), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, credit information, status as a victim or family member of a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses, or stalking, or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws.
The School does not discriminate on the basis of religion, but as a religious educational institution rooted in Jewish living and values, we do give preference in hiring to Jewish educators who are able to provide additional instruction and cultural or religious context for elements of our curriculum based in Judaism. At the same time, we encourage qualified, non-Jewish applicants to apply.
Pervasive inequalities in hiring have caused people to apply for a position only if they meet all of the qualifications. If you do not have all of the qualifications listed, but are passionate about our mission, motivated, and believe you have transferable skills from other industries, we encourage you to apply for this position.