Title: Accounting Assistant
Job Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Finance
Salary Range: $35 - $37,500 annual with benefits and paid time off
Rodef Shalom is one of the most popular sacred spaces in the East End of Pittsburgh and has been a leader in interfaith and progressive social justice work for over 150 years. Rodef Shalom seeks a self-reliant individual who is committed to the value-based goals of our community.
Requirements: Knowledge of accrual, cost and fund accounting. Understanding of accounting processes, controls and separation of duties.
Minimum Qualifications: Associate’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited educational institution. Must have bookkeeping and data entry experience in an office setting. Familiarity with Excel, accounting software applications and ERP systems.
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited educational institution. Three years of bookkeeping and data entry experience in an office setting. Experience using Google Workspace and Microsoft Office Suite. Our Synagogue uses ShulCloud, PayChex, Community Brands (formerly Abila) MIP and Excel.
General Position Responsibilities:
The Accounting Assistant will support the Accounting Manager and the Director of Finance in maintaining the operations of a busy and dynamic Accounting Department including, but not limited to, the following tasks:
- Participate in the Accounts Payable process by recording and reconciling purchase orders to invoices, recording invoices in the MIP system, and initiating payment via check, EFT or through vendors’ on-line portals. Maintain vendor files in MIP and track progress payments arising from contractual obligations;
- Participate in the Cash Receipts process. Properly code and record cash receipts by customer or member in the ShulCloud system and prepare reports for entry into the MIP system. Candidate should be familiar with the control of various cash receipts avenues such as cash, checks, credit cards processing, ACH and lockboxes;
- Participate in the Payroll process by preparing hours reports from the PayChex Time and Attendance System for hourly employees. Apply payroll policies and procedures when reviewing payroll amounts and deductions before processing. Using payroll journals and deductions registers, prepare data uploads for the organization’s 403(b) programs;
- With the Accounting Manager and appropriate department personnel, Prepare Billings for the Congregation’s membership, Joint Jewish Education Program, Family Center and B’nai Mitzvah programs in the ShulCloud system. Track payments applied to those billings and produce monthly receivables reports;
- With the Director of Human Resources, apply the policies and procedures outlined in the employee handbook to record and track employees’ Paid Time Off balances in the PayChex Time and Attendance System.
Skills and Experience:
Ability to manage multiple priorities. Must demonstrate attention to detail and consistent accuracy in data entry. Candidate should be approachable and customer-service oriented and have the ability to balance the demands of multiple constituencies.
This job description reflects the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Benefits: Health insurance at 2% employee contribution, 403(b) retirement plan, employer paid vision coverage, dental plan (self-pay), flexible savings account, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, paid time off - 2 weeks sick and 2 weeks vacation leave.
Rodef Shalom Congregation was founded in 1856. Its storied history as one of the preeminent Reform congregations in North America is matched by its current standing in the Jewish community locally, nationally and globally as a progressive leader in defining Reform Jewish practice for the 21st century. Based upon the egalitarian and inclusive principles of Reform Judaism, Rodef Shalom Congregation is a house of worship for all people and a safe environment. We welcome all individuals and families to pray, learn, partake in social activities and join in social justice and social action initiatives as well as other congregational opportunities.