SENIOR EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT
Reports to: Senior Rabbi, Clergy and Executive Team
FT Salary Range: $50,000-55,000
Location: 840 Vernon Avenue, Glencoe, Illinois 60022
The mission of Am Shalom, a 1,000+ family Reform congregation located in Glencoe, Illinois, is to engage, enlighten, embrace and educate our members in ways that build a sense of community, while respecting individual forms of expression and belief. We seek to explore our Jewish roots, awareness and values, and rich the spiritual lives of our members, while serving humanity through social action.
The Senior Executive Assistant provides executive level support for Senior Staff with administrative, ritual-related and program support for the Senior Rabbi and other clergy members. This position interfaces with members on the clergy’s behalf, schedules clergy appointments and manages correspondence. They work closely with a team of administrators, in particular the B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator. This position interfaces regularly with all staff members, lay leaders and volunteers around scheduling, event support and logistics.
We seek an energetic, organized and customer service-oriented individual capable of multitasking and problem solving in a professional team environment. Our core values and competencies are part of everything we do at Am Shalom. We seek employees who share our values of: Integrity, Trust, Passion, Commitment, Teamwork, Professionalism, Service, Focus and Accountability.
- Serves as communications hub for clergy, managing inquiries and requests, and problem solving with the highest standard of service
- Maintains calendars for Senior Rabbi, in coordination with B’nai Mitzvah coordinator and administrative team
- Maintains calendars for Associate Rabbi and Cantors, balancing both personal and professional events over a variety of platforms
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, special events, congregant appointments, life cycle events and related appointments and holiday events
- Makes travel arrangements for the Senior and Associate Rabbi and Cantors, coordinates travel details for participants on congregational trips, arranges travel and accommodations for Am Shalom speakers, musicians and other special guests.
Administrative and Program Support
- Prepares a variety of documents including thank you letters, invitations, life cycle event-related programs and other documents as needed.
- Manages the Yad Squad (Torah reader) program
- Maintains and organizes monthly expenses for Cantor
- Supports choir scheduling and communications
- Supports program execution, including materials creation, tracking registration, ordering food and other activities as needed
- Compiles and distributes reports for board meetings
- Enters confidential data and runs reports and other functions in CRM system
- Produces high quality collateral material for programs and events, in collaboration with communications staff
- Prepares deposits and records donations
- Maintains inventory of office specialty items and giveaways
- Maintains interest lists for future travel, programs, etc.
- Carries out other administrative tasks as needed in support of the synagogue and the Executive Team
- Builds and maintains meaningful relationships with members, volunteers and visitors
- Liaise between rabbi, cantor and congregants
- Proactively communicates with clergy to keep them aware of congregant needs
- Ensures all incoming and outgoing messages are clear, accurate and sensitive to any unique circumstances.
Knowledge & Skills
- Excellent organizational skills with a focus on accuracy and attention to detail
- Very high level of proficiency with CRM systems, Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Minimum 5 years in an administrative role
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain positive relationships at all levels of the organization
- Possess a high level of integrity and utilize discretion in handling confidential material
- Ability to anticipate executive needs
- Ability to understand key business concepts and processes
- Ability to multitask and prioritize a diversified workload, meeting established deadlines with minimal supervision and in a busy office environment
- Positive outlook and ability to maintain a calm demeanor under pressure
- Flexible and willing to work longer hours when needed, including occasional nights and weekends
- An understanding of the value of the synagogue in the community today
- Working knowledge of written Hebrew is a bonus
- Minimum 5 years of experience as Executive Administrative Assistant or equivalent
- Previous experience in congregational administration, customer service or operations support
- Salary commensurate with experience; paid vacation, sick leave, health benefits