The Rashi School seeks a collaborative and dynamic educator to join our Lower School as an assistant teacher for the 2022-2023 school year. Rashi’s Lower School uses a collaborative teaching model to promote students’ academic, social, and emotional growth by nurturing an environment that promotes risk taking, flexibility, adaptability, empathy and resilience through collaborative teaching which models behaviors of the adults. We seek to employ faculty and staff with diverse backgrounds who model these traits for our students and are eager to support Rashi in fulfilling its mission.
The Assistant Teacher works as part of a grade level team with two Lead Teachers in managing daily classroom tasks and activities. At the request of the Lead Teachers, the Assistant Teacher provides guidance to students to enhance and facilitate learning in a variety of subjects including math, social studies, reading, science, and Jewish Studies to inspire and challenge all learners.
The Rashi School is the Boston-area K-8 Reform Jewish independent school. In our warm and inclusive community, children are appreciated for who they are as they learn and develop their identities. With the school’s foundation of rigorous academics and differentiated instruction and a mission rooted in social justice, we want our students to ask the tough questions—not just the who, what, where, but the how, why, and what can I do to fix it? Rashi graduates have the confidence to try new things and to fail forward. With kindness at their core, they become change agents in the school and beyond.
The salary for first year assistant teachers is $27,360. Assistant teachers also participate in all professional development opportunities offered by the school. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 3 professional references to [email protected]
- Work directly with students as directed by the Lead Teachers (e.g. working with an individual student or small group, conferencing, etc.) to inspire and challenge all learners.
- Assist the Lead Teachers in ensuring that all students are receiving appropriate accommodations.
- Assist the Lead Teachers during transition times to and from specialists.
- Demonstrate leadership under the direction of the Lead Teachers--i.e., taking charge of a classroom when a Lead Teacher is absent, developing some areas of the curriculum for specific groups of students, Creating activities for morning meetings
- Participate in weekly planning meetings with the Lead Teachers.
- Attend grade level meetings with the Division Director. and/or Learning Specialists.
- Assist the Lead Teachers in classroom set-up.
- Share duties (recess, lunch, etc.) set by the Assistant Head of School.
- Participate in Tefillah, Kabbalat Shabbat (worship services), and other holiday celebrations.
- Participate in Parent-Teacher Conferences.
- Support the Lead Teachers with the writing and proofreading of report cards.
- Assist the Lead Teacher with other responsibilities such as photocopying, lesson preparation and set-up, maintaining bulletin boards, correcting student work, etc.
- Supervise After School Study Hall (3:15-4:30 PM) on a rotating basis approximately 2-3 times per month
- Continuous learner
- Open to feedback
- Strong communicator
- Active listener
- Demonstrates joy working with elementary aged students
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Belief in Rashi’s Mission and Core Values
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field required.
- Prior experience working with elementary school students
Specific responsibilities will be influenced by the Assistant Teacher’s previous teaching experiences, skills, and knowledge.