REPORTS TO: Director of Community Security
At the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund (the Federation), we envision diverse, dynamic Bay Area Jewish communities, deeply engaged in Jewish life and doing good locally, in Israel, and around the world. We create opportunities for people in the Bay Area to connect with and contribute to their communities. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), tzedek (pursuing justice), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
The Community Security Program is focused on fostering psychological and emotional security alongside traditional physical security by providing an array of services and support to local Jewish agencies, schools, and synagogues, including training on how to improve security and preparedness; advising on potential threats; and building strong relationships within the local Jewish and interfaith communities. We also provide site security assessments and help our local Jewish organizations secure millions of dollars in state and federal funding for building security upgrades. Additionally, we help to coordinate and assist organizations and law enforcement with incident response. Our holistic approach to community security includes working with our partner agencies such as Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC), the Jewish Public Affairs Committee of California (JPAC), and the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), on community relations and advocacy efforts to track and combat antisemitism. Our efforts have translated into increased funding for security improvements, better preparedness and confidence, and the adoption of best practices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
The Community Security Advisor is a new full-time position that expands our capacity to serve more Jewish organizations across Northern California. We are seeking an experienced professional to conduct on-site security assessments throughout our Jewish community, recommend detailed solutions to improve physical site security, facilitate and lead hands-on training and workshops, and contribute expertise that strengthens the program as a centralized resource for security best practices. This role offers the opportunity to work directly with a diverse group of Jewish organizations, to implement critical and high-impact work, and to support the growth of the Community Security Program in years to come. The successful candidate will have direct experience in the area of security, a track record of managing complex projects, strong attention to detail, and the ability to build relationships.
The Community Security Advisor will report directly to the Director of Community Security. This position will also interface with other members of the program team (including full-time staff and consultants) and collaborate with other functions within the Federation to implement program goals and objectives.
- Supports the Director of Community Security in identifying and prioritizing the security needs of the community
- Utilizes best practices to conduct on-site security assessments at partner organizations across the Community Security Program’s Northern California catchment area
- Collaborates with clergy, professional staff, and lay leadership at partner organizations to identify and prioritize security improvements and share best practices
- Leads in the development of/ analysis of new physical security assessment tools
- Liaises with law enforcement and government agencies throughout the catchment area
- Develops and implements curriculum of training and workshops for Jewish organizations throughout the year as needed in physical security topics, e.g. how to use handheld radios effectively
- Provides consultation and expertise relating to security systems, physical security improvements, and capital projects being undertaken within the Jewish community
- Contributes, as a team member, to the strategic direction of the Community Security Program, identifying needs and opportunities from on-the-ground experience for greater program impact
- Provides guidance to Federation building security and operations team as needs arise
- Travels locally throughout the Community Security Program’s Northern California catchment area
- Sometimes must respond to situations on weekends or evenings
- Keeps careful records to track all activities and their impact
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT
Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree in a related field preferred
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES)
- Over 5 years of experience in security, law enforcement or counter-terrorism work
- Significant experience performing security assessments and implementing solutions
- Demonstrated track record of serving a large base of clients and/or overseeing multiple complex projects
- Experience working closely with multiple, diverse stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills
- Team player who brings a collaborative approach to addressing diverse perspectives and interests relating to security
- Highly proficient communicator (written and verbal) with strong relationship management skills
- Familiarity with dynamics of Jewish communities and institutions is strongly preferred
- Local travel is required in this role; must use own vehicle for transportation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite; Salesforce a plus
Salary range: $112,200 - $119,850
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.
Please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to [email protected] All applications and inquiries will receive a response and will be kept strictly confidential.
The Federation requires COVID-19 vaccination for new hires and is planning a hybrid work model of currently working one day a week in our office. Read Our Commitment to Diversity to learn more.