Temple Beth Avodah, a reform synagogue, in Newton, MA is looking for a creative, open minded, and warm individual to join the team as the Youth Engagement Coordinator. The YEC focuses on developing relationships with children and teens along with their parents to foster an atmosphere of social emotional support, strengthen Jewish identity, and increase engagement in the community. They will be joining a vibrant professional staff and will be encouraged to learn and grow in the position.
Primary Responsibilities include:
1. Supervise youth group (BAYGL) programming including serving as advisor for middle school and high school youth groups (grades 6-12). This includes supervising youth board, event planning, and outreach and attendance for local and regional NFTY events.
2. Develop and implement leadership training opportunities for teens. These may include but are not limited to teaching assistants, teen interns, teen leadership council, and youth group leaders.
3. Coordinate and attend trip and retreat programs such as overnight retreats, trips to New York, Washington, D.C. and Israel with Director of Education.
4. Coordinate our post-B'nai Mitzvah programs including weekly high school classes, gender-based groups, and other enrichment clubs. Track engagement in such activities and encourage participation in a variety of ways.
5. Serve on teaching faculty in leadership capacities in grades 4-12 including lesson planning, classroom teaching, social action projects, and out of classroom experiences.
The YEC is a full time, 10 month position with full year benefits including health insurance. A 12 month position is possible in partnership with a Jewish summer camp for those who may be interested. Sundays and 1-2 weeknights are expected on a weekly basis. Other weekends may be needed based on event schedule. The work schedule is flexible and is set with the Director of Education.
We are seeking an individual who is skilled at connecting with people with ease, has strong organizational skills, and is creative and innovative in their thinking. We are commited to giving the YEC the opportunity to lead and expand their skills in a supportive professional environment.
Interested candidates should email cover letter and resume to our Director of Education, Heidi Baker, at [email protected]