Director, [email protected]
Located at Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy, Livingston, New Jersey
Widely regarded as a leader in special education, SINAI Schools was founded in 1982 by a small group of parents determined to create a world-class Jewish special education school for their children with special needs. Its first partner school was what is now known as Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy, and over the past 4 decades SINAI has grown to serve over 200 students who come from all corners of the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area. Today, SINAI operates 8 schools for individuals ages 6-21, who have a wide range of learning and developmental disabilities as well as other special needs. SINAI focuses on maximizing each student’s academic, emotional, and social potential, while developing a strong knowledge and love of his or her traditional Jewish heritage. SINAI students are taught skills that promote success in mainstream academic, social and vocational settings, and they are empowered to become productive and confident members of the community. Each of SINAI’s schools is integrated within a regular education partner of a Jewish elementary or high school, creating an inclusion experience that is personalized for every single child. Since 2004, SINAI Schools has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, and remains the only Jewish special education school with this accreditation.
[email protected] is a Modern Orthodox special education elementary school that partners with Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy (JKHA), located in Livingston, NJ. [email protected] serves students in grades 1-8 who have a range of special needs, and boasts a professional-to-student ratio of 1:1.2.
Mission and Beliefs
SINAI operates schools and adult programs for individuals with a wide range of learning and developmental disabilities as well as other special needs.
- That every individual, regardless of ability, is a valuable member of his/her community, and should be included as such.
- That every individual, regardless of ability, can become a productive member of his/her community.
- That an inclusive educational environment within a partner school plays a key role in motivating our students and meeting their educational and social goals.
- That an individualized approach to teaching produces the best results.
- That education and therapy will enhance the quality of our students’ lives.
- That specific aspects of belonging to the observant Jewish community should be incorporated into the curriculum.
- That the quality of our programs and services is directly dependent on the skill, dedication, and character of our staff.
- That partnership with parents is critical to a child’s successful educational experience.
- That we have a responsibility to serve as a resource to the general public by offering guidance and information.
About the Position
The Director will serve as the lead educational executive at [email protected], inspiring and leading a highly collaborative professional team of experienced teachers, therapists (SLP, OT, PT, Psychologist, Art Therapist, Music therapist) and administrators. Multiple times during the week, the Director will facilitate formal 1:1 and team meetings to support and stretch staff in their work with students. SINAI will equip the Director with the resources and bandwidth to focus on the individual profiles of each of the students, and to implement what is needed to help each one grow academically, socially, emotionally and spiritually. A unique aspect of this position is that the Director will benefit from being part of a professional cohort of Directors of SINAI Schools, through which he or she will have the opportunity to collaborate, inspire and be inspired. The Director will report to the Dean of SINAI Schools, who will provide guidance and support.
Responsibilities of the Role
- Creation and oversight of curriculum and IEPs
- Oversight of admissions
- Staff supervision, development and evaluation
- Collaboration with partner school (JKHA) personnel
- Parent communication and programming
- Coordination with outside service providers working with students
Qualifications of the Position
- An advanced degree in special education or related (eg: therapeutic or mental health) field
- Experience in the field of special education
- Proven track record of inspiring staff and students
- Commitment to developing the “whole” child
- Commitment to establishing and and maintaining a collaborative team
- Strong supervisory experience and administrative skills
- Excellent communication and organization skills
To apply to become the next Director at [email protected], please send a cover letter and resume to Amy Wasser, Senior Director of School Services, Prizmah Center for Jewish Day Schools, at [email protected]