Who We Are
Temple Am Echad is an open and affirming Reform congregation of over 230 members, welcoming families, singles, persons with disabilities, Jews of all races, cultures, sexual orientations and gender expressions, as well as Jews-by-choice and interfaith families. Created in 2009 as a result of the merger of Temple Emanuel of Lynbrook (founded 1921) and Temple Sinai of Lawrence (founded 1951), we are a strong community built on active membership, innovative programming, and longstanding tradition of social action and social justice.
Our Religious School, mostly students in grades K-7, has doubled in enrollment over the last three years, and is poised to have over 70 students for the 2023-2024 school year. Our faculty is a mixture of congregants serving as volunteer Judaic and enrichment teachers, complimented by professional Hebrew teachers.
Who We Seek
We are seeking a Director of Education to lead our rapidly growing Religious School.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate
- Warm, outgoing, and friendly, who engages Religious School families
- Committed to building relationships within the school community
- Shares a love of Jewish living and learning
- Strong administrative, communicative, managerial, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of Judaic values and familiarity with Hebrew language preferred
Role of the Director of Education
- Cultivate a welcoming environment in the Religious School for children and families to explore Judaism
- Being present for:
- Religious School sessions on Sunday mornings and Tuesday afternoon/evenings
- Friday night Family Shabbat services (once a month)
- Occasional holiday services/events
- Create family education programs to compliment classroom learning (approximately four times per year)
- Provide support for Religious School faculty with curriculum implementation and classroom management
- Communicate with families regarding school and Temple events (e.g. weekly email to parents)
- Oversee the Religious School budget and coordinate payroll with office staff
- Develop school calendar
- Coordinate semi-regular faculty meetings
- Attend Religious School committee meetings and weekly Temple staff meetings
Part-time, 15 hours per week, to begin July 1
Package/Salary Range: $25,000-$27,000
Please email resume and letter of interest to
Irene Drantch (Executive Director) at [email protected]
with “Director of Education Search” in the subject line.