About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
The Lawyers Division of UJA-Federation seeks a confident, proactive, and relationship-oriented fundraising professional to fill the role of Development Associate. The activities of this division are fast-paced and high-energy; therefore, this role requires a team-player with the ability to multi-task, trouble-shoot, and be a forward-thinker.
The Development Associate is responsible for the engagement, cultivation, and solicitation of donors and prospects through face-to-face solicitations, the organization of large- and small-scale fundraising events, volunteer projects, and providing support to lay leadership committees. They oversee a portfolio that includes the Young Lawyers Specialty, the Next Generation Restructuring Group, the White Collar and Securities Enforcement Group and campaigns at several large New York law firms.
- Educate donors and prospects about the mission of UJA-Federation of New York in ways that inspire them to give. Accomplish this through one-on-one meetings, fundraising events, educational programs, mitzvah projects, agency visits, and missions.
- Develop and implement appropriate fundraising strategies to increase the dollars raised for the annual campaign.
- Oversee the Young Lawyers Speaker series as well as other engagement events including briefings, Shabbat dinners, and lunch and learns.
- Oversee the Young Lawyers After Dark event as well as the White Collar Cocktail Reception.
- Develop programming that creates a pipeline of committed donors and leaders in the legal landscape.
- Provide professional support to the leadership bodies of the subspecialties in the portfolio. This includes agenda setting, preparing reports and presentations, writing meeting notes, and providing necessary follow-up.
- Maintain records of donor engagement and evaluate progress regularly with supervisor.
- Develop and update research on individuals and companies in the Lawyers Division portfolio, as well as philanthropic trends in the legal community. Includes identification of viable prospects through outreach and relationship-building activities, and reading newspapers, trade publications, journals, and other related materials to remain generally informed.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two or more years of fundraising or sales experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong critical thinking and analytic abilities.
- Experience coordinating events.
- Knowledge of issues facing the Jewish community and passion for UJA’s mission.
The salary range for this role is $60,000 to $65,000; commensurate with experience and qualifications listed above.
Great Perks. Because We Appreciate Great Employees.
We offer a generous number of vacation days and have the Jewish holidays off as well. Fridays our offices close early (October to March at 3:00 pm and April to September at 4:00 pm). All so you can relax and recharge.
UJA provides a top-tier medical and dental plan, along with a flexible spending account. We also offer life insurance. And for a small cost you can take part in on-site yoga and exercise classes at our Manhattan office. Wellness matters to us.
Planning for Retirement:
UJA employees can enroll in a pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Classes, workshops, and compelling speakers will keep you at the top of your game.
We come together as a staff to commemorate holidays (from Rosh Hashanah to MLK Day), volunteer at nonprofits, and celebrate our accomplishments together. (Our chocolate chip cookies are legendary!)
Some More (Yes, more!)
We also offer a backup childcare program. And a commuter benefit plan. So you can get to work and feel good about it.
Also, a lot of the times, we’re wearing jeans.