The Hillcrest Jewish Center, NY seeks a talented, well-grounded and experienced leader to serve as our next Executive Director. The ED is responsible for the synagogues facilities, financial and operational management, human resources, communications, membership engagement and security.
About Hillcrest Jewish Center
The Hillcrest Jewish Center, a 270 family traditional egalitarian congregation affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, seeks to foster love of Judaism and of the Jewish People through study of Torah, the performance of mitzvoth, meaningful prayer, the performance of acts of Chesed (loving kindness) and to inspire our members to engage in “Tikkun Olam” - making this world a better place in which to live.
General Administration and Management
- Hire, supervise, and delegate responsibilities to the staff, but maintain overall responsibility for everything they do.
- Formulate and maintain employee standards and policies.
- Coordinate and oversee all Synagogue mailings.
- Oversee and assist professional staff and congregation with publicity, public relations, bulletins, newsletters, and mailings.
- Assist in proofreading publicly distributed documents.
Facilities Management & Technology
- Hire and supervise maintenance staff.
- Formulates and maintains accurate inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Works with house and building committee to maintain, repair and improve physical plant, grounds, and synagogue.
- Works with insurance committee regarding Synagogue liability and other insurances
- Coordinates space and room usage in building (including outside groups).
- Oversee Synagogue operations in regard to comfort, safety and security.
- Oversees formulation of and adherence to Synagogue budget.
- Supervises bookkeeping and computer data entry.
- Review payroll including overtime hours and adherence to budget.
- Oversees collection of all funds due Synagogue, contact with delinquent congregants and arrange payments, maintain and updates arrangement with members unable to pay full dues.
- Maintain accurate and complete membership records.
- Prepare financial reports for Synagogue officers.
- Work with accountants on semiannual and annual financial statements.
- Constantly searching for, and initiating innovative improvements in revenue collections, Synagogue income, and controlling expenses.
Development and Engagement
- Provide leadership in identifying alternative funding sources, grants, scholarships, and endowment opportunities.
- Assist with new member recruitment
- Coordinate volunteers supporting synagogue activities.
- Maintain the membership database. (ShulCloud)
- Address member questions, concerns, and administrative issues.
Programming / Communications
- Provide guidance to staff for new and existing programming.
- Ensure administrative and logistical support required for the smooth running of events.
- Assist in developing and maintaining advertising and public relations campaigns.
- Oversee the creation, writing, editing, and distribution of communications and/or publications as needed.
- Ensure best practices for communication.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors or equivalent required (advanced degrees or certifications are preferred).
- Respect for Jewish practices, including the Sabbath and the Jewish calendar and festivals.
- Computer skills: Word, Excel, ShulCloud.
- Serve as the primary contact in case of off-hour emergencies.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Technologically agile.