Congregation Beth Sholom (CBS) of Lawrence, New York, is the oldest Orthodox congregation in the Five Towns (established in 1928).
CBS is home to a diverse congregation of 450 families of all ages and backgrounds. In all our services, programs, classes and activities, we seek the full inclusion of our CBS family. At the same time, we strive to inspire our congregants to grow as Jews and be deeply connected to Klal Yisroel and the State of Israel. So much of our efforts are directed towards increasing the study of Torah and commitment to Mitzvot. We offer a wide range of learning and chesed opportunities for men, women and youth.
CBS has 12 full-time and part-time staff members, including six members of the clergy.
For more information about CBS please visit https://www.bethsholomlawrence.org/aboutcbs.
CBS is looking for an executive director who is vibrant, forward thinking, self-motivated and has vision and a proven track record. The ideal candidate will be able to assume leadership and accountability for all of CBS’ operations and administrative functions, manage and supervise the staff, and work closely with the Rabbinic staff and Executive Board to implement CBS’ mission and goals.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the CBS office, and supervise and motivate the office, administrative and building and maintenance staff.
- Provide support to the Rabbinic staff.
- Oversee and implement all synagogue technology, including liaising with IT vendors.
- Attend board, membership and committee meetings.
- Coordinate security needs, including hiring and scheduling of security guards, in collaboration with security committee.
- Oversee operational procedures for all events, including daily, weekly and holiday services, special events and programs and building rentals.
- Manage synagogue rentals, including marketing of synagogue spaces, liaising with vendors and managing collections.
- Maintain calendar of services, events, programs, sponsorships and rentals.
- Review and oversee all financial reports, deposits and invoices, in collaboration with the synagogue’s bookkeeper.
- Oversee member billing and statements, donations, and collections.
- Assist with planning and executing fundraising initiatives and capital campaigns in consultation with the Executive Board and relevant committees.
- Participate in grant writing and submissions, including Homeland Security Grant.
- Manage and oversee all internal and external communications, including mailings, phone dialers, emails and through ShulCloud, including weekly and monthly newsletters, holiday flyers and emails, and special communications.
- Manage and oversee online presence, including assisting with website maintenance and supporting social media presence.
- Assist with attracting new members and managing new member application process.
- Oversee a friendly office and work to address the questions, concerns and needs of members and non-members in a professional manner.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in related field preferred;
- 5+ years of demonstrated leadership experience running an organization, preferably a synagogue or Jewish nonprofit organization;
- Strong fundraising background (capital campaign experience is a plus);
- Strong business acumen and fiscal management skills;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, and writing skills;
- Knowledgeable in website management and social media; and
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, social media applications, and ShulCloud or comparable web application.
Highly competitive salary with generous benefits.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]