Communications and Outreach Manager
UMass Amherst Hillel
Enrich the lives of hundreds of college students as the Communications and Outreach Manager while working with a great staff team at UMass Hillel. In this role, you will engage students meaningfully in Jewish life and community by building relationships with students, managing key programs, advising clubs, supervising interns, and promoting Hillel through a range of communication channels. You will oversee digital communications as it relates to student engagement and sharing of the student experience, including developing and implementing social media strategies and managing email newsletters.
The Communications and Outreach Manager is a natural relationship-builder with a love for Judaism, who brings creativity and technological savviness to Hillel. The Communications and Outreach Manager reports to the Assistant Director and is an integral member of a dynamic and caring staff team. UMass Hillel is a great place to work - in a national Hillel movement-wide survey of employee satisfaction, UMass Hillel was a top ranked Hillel. Bring your passion and skills to the exciting work of building a vibrant Jewish student community.
What You’ll Do
Communications and Online Engagement:
- Plan and execute social media campaigns that build brand awareness, increase engagement, and drive traffic to Hillel website and other digital channels.
- Develop and implement digital and print marketing plans to promote Hillel opportunities and to engage students in Hillel initiatives.
- Manage “News4Jews” weekly e-blasts to effectively advertise UMass Jewish programming and opportunities.
- Develop and maintain a social media content calendar that aligns with overall marketing and brand messaging.
- Manage and grow Hillel social media channels, including but not limited to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, WhatsApp, and TikTok.
Student Engagement & Program Management:
- Build relationships with students by meeting them where they’re at, such as attending on-campus events and meetings, tabling, one-on-one coffee conversations, facilitating small group discussions, staffing immersive experiences, and developing new and creative initiatives.
- Manage freshmen engagement, including overseeing the FreshFest pre-orientation program for first year students and creating opportunities for freshmen to connect to Jewish life and each other throughout the year.
- Manage prospective student and family visits and engagement.
- Coordinate bridge building work with other cultural and religious groups on campus, demonstrating allyship, increasing awareness of antisemitism, and facilitating collaborative events with non-Jewish groups.
- Advise Jewish student clubs, empowering them to enact their missions and plan dynamic programs.
- Recruit and supervise student interns.
- Other initiatives/projects based on your skills and passions and Hillel’s organizational goals.
What You’ve Accomplished
- 2-4 years relevant professional work experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proven success in social media and digital marketing, including creating graphic design content and email marketing
- Past relationship building with diverse people
- Experience planning and leading events
- Using Salesforce, Little Green Light or other database applications with a close eye to detail
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including an ability to connect with a wide range of students
- A team mindset and desire to collaborate
- Excellent organizational skills, including strong attention to detail
- Determination, resourcefulness, and drive to excellence
- Confidence in organizing events or group programs, and a willingness to ask questions
- Creative problem solving
- Passion for Jewish life
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $40,000-$50,000, commensurate with experience
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Travel regionally and potential travel abroad, particularly to Israel
About UMass Hillel
UMass Hillel is a vibrant active Hillel, located at the edge of the UMass Amherst campus. We empower students through the vitality of Jewish life to cultivate purposeful, healthy lives and relationships that better our community and world. With over 10 Jewish student groups and a fun and dedicated staff team, UMass Hillel offers a huge range of meaningful programming and opportunities to engage the 2000+ Jewish students of UMass and beyond. We are located in the beautiful college town of Amherst in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts.
UMass Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel