Director of Development
Remote / Hybrid Northeast Corridor preferred
An exciting opportunity to grow and develop the US market for
American Friends of Assuta Ashdod Hospital
American Friends of Assuta Ashdod Hospital (AFAAH) is a 501(c)(3) supporting the new Samson Assuta Ashdod University Hospital in Israel. Samson Assuta Ashdod University Hospital opened its doors in 2017 to provide optimal and innovative medical care to underserved communities in Israel’s southern periphery.
A 300-bed hospital, Assuta Ashdod serves 500,000 residents of Ashdod and the surrounding region – veteran Israelis and new immigrants from diverse cultures and backgrounds. The medical staff, mirroring this diversity, is a melting pot of Zionistic professionals from all parts of the globe who joined doctors and nurses from the Israeli healthcare system to provide a game changing impact for a population previously without a local hospital.
Located 25 miles from the Gaza Strip, it features a unique bomb-shelter design protecting patients and staff from missiles, and biological and chemical warfare.
As Israel’s newest hospital, Assuta Ashdod brings the best modern medicine has to offer, including state-of-the-art technology and equipment and cutting-edge approaches. The hospital is now expanding to 650 beds to help meet the serious shortage of patient beds.
AFAAH is committed to help bring medical innovation and compassionate care to this population.
We are seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial development professional interested in joining a growing organization. The right candidate will be a dynamic leader with strong knowledge of communities supporting Israel, passion for the mission and the ability to articulate a compelling case for support. The Director will be a hands-on leader within the organization who is excited to apply their fundraising and donor engagement skill to this important organization. They will be values-driven, agile, curious and approachable. Working closely with our AFAAH board, the position reports to the Director of Philanthropy in Israel.
• Establish awareness and recognition of Samson Assuta Ashdod Hospital
• Develop and implement an annual fundraising plan and manage activities accordingly
• Strategic identification and engagement of new donors – high-net-worth individuals and foundation funders
• Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new and current donors
• Develop and implement relevant educational events for friends, donors and new audience including use of interesting speakers from Assuta Ashdod
• Ensure effective and timely communication including acknowledgement letters, newsletters, campaigns, telephone and in-person meetings
• Work closely with the AFAA board to cultivate new donors
• Manage administration, marketing and organizational awareness across the US
This position may require some evening and/or Sunday work as well as domestic travel and periodic travel to Israel.
Qualifications & Experience
• At least 8 years’ development experience in Jewish philanthropy sector
• Experience coordinating and executing events facilitating donor engagement
• Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, motivated and motivating
• Strong commitment to and passion for the mission of AFAAH and the ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work to prospective and current funders
• Successful track record in soliciting major gifts from existing and new prospects; demonstrated ability to develop, foster, and sustain donor relationship
• Ability to rapidly transition from the highly innovative and strategic to the tactical
• Significant experience in securing funding from individuals, foundations, and/or corporations
• Ability to work successfully with individuals at all levels within the organization, including board members, donors, and colleagues in Israel
• Strong communicator, oral and written; excellent presentation skills
• Strong organizational, time, and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities, short-term needs, and long-term planning
• MS Office skills and Salesforce database skills required
• Strong attention to detail, intellectual curiosity and receptivity to feedback
• Hebrew speaker a plus
• Independent, organized worker with initiative and passion
• Bachelor’s degree required
This is a full time, salaried position offering a competitive benefits and compensation package commensurate with experience.
Information contained herein reflects the main functions of the position and is not a comprehensive list of responsibilities related to the position. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
Please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected]