We are looking for a Rabbi/Cantor to:
- Lead Friday evening and Saturday Shabbat services; plan and deliver meaningful High Holiday and other Jewish holiday services; conduct Life cycle services.
- Be knowledgeable about areas of Reform and Conservative Judaism as well as Jewish religion, Torah, history, literature, culture, and spirituality.
- Read, write, and speak Hebrew sufficiently to read Torah and teach Hebrew.
- Provide pastoral counseling and support. This includes visiting and providing support to those who are ill, in hospital, in nursing homes, unable to leave home, etc.
- Create and deliver sermons, classes and communications in a concise, meaningful, and relevant way.
- Represent the Congregation in the Sioux City community. This may include, if desired, teaching classes at one of the three local colleges.
Are you tired of the stresses of leading a congregation in the traffic-filled, crowded metropolis where you don’t know your neighbors and want to get back to a family-focused congregation and community, then join us in Sioux City, Iowa. If you are looking for a relaxing, beautiful, cultural medium-sized Midwest city to guide us in Judaism, Sioux City, Iowa welcomes you. Congregation Beth Shalom, in Sioux City, Iowa, is looking for a full-time ordained Rabbi to lead our Congregation. This opening arises because our Rabbi recently retired after 18 years of service.
Congregation Beth Shalom was formed in 1994 as the result of a merger between the Reform Temple, Mt Sinai, and the Conservative Synagogue, Shaare Zion. Our Congregation embraces all branches of Judaism and is an integral part of Jewish life in Sioux City. The Congregation is very financially secure.
Sioux City is a historic gem in the rolling hills of a state park along the Missouri River where Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota meet. It is just over an hour to Omaha, Nebraska and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Twice named an All-America City by the National Civic League, voted the #1 State to retire in, and designated as an Iowa Great Place, Sioux City, Iowa serves as the regional hub for business, employment, industry, retail trade, medical care, tourism and educational opportunities. More than 169,000 people live in the tri-state metropolitan area. Come experience the many cultural, entertainment and outdoor activities of the Siouxland area. It is a family-oriented, calm environment that will offer a relaxing place to lead our congregation, study and teach.
We would like a contract to begin as soon as possible but will work with a prospect for a suitable start date.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits.
Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]