CONGREGATION OR TZION:
We are a multigenerational, highly participatory, family friendly community in the Phoenix/north Scottsdale area. We are affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism and pride ourselves on offering compelling programming, innovative learning opportunities and spiritual prayer services for all ages. These include but are not limited to Shabbat services, holiday celebrations, religious school, Bar/Bat Mitzvah training, adult education, youth groups, and programming for adults. Today, we are nearly a congregation of 500 members strong.
The Education Director must demonstrate comprehensive experience and understanding of all aspects of religious school management together with the working knowledge of Jewish religious, educational and cultural issues.
The Education Director will be a strategic partner to the clergy, staff and volunteer leadership to ensure that the congregation’s principles, mission, values and vision are incorporated into all aspects of the educational programs. This position reports to the Senior Rabbi, Board of Directors, and VP of Education.
- At least 3 years of teaching experience
- Degree in education or educational administration or educational supervision.
- A degree in Jewish Education - highly desirable
- Experience with supervising and evaluating staff
- Experience working with budgets
- Member of JEA - highly desirable
The Education Director will be responsible for:
- Building upon, managing and growing a strong religious school program;
- Developing and implementing a broad integrated vision for educational programming across all age levels of the synagogue community;
- Working in collaboration with the clergy, staff, Education committee, Board of Directors and other lay leaders.
Roz Goodell Religious School:
- Build upon a caring, nurturing environment in which students can explore and participate in activities that help build a Jewish identity and a commitment to Jewish community
- Hire, supervise, train, and regularly assess and evaluate teachers and support staff
- Collaborate with the Clergy, to ensure that the prayer curriculum aligns with B’nai Mitzvah expectations
- In collaboration with the teachers, assess the Hebrew levels throughout the school year to ensure that students are on track.
- Supervise and collaborate with the Madrihim Coordinator to ensure success of the program.
- Ensure ongoing communication between parents and teachers
- Identify/be aware of/address needs of students with academic/behavioral/physical differences
- Review all student health conditions and communicate to appropriate staff.
- Provide for ongoing communication between
- parents and the education director
- teachers and the education director
- teachers and the madrichim
- Manage disciplinary issues
- Facilitate the school’s Shabbat programming to include
Designing and implementing Kitah Shabbatot experiences in collaboration with teachers
- Create educational and experiential opportunities, including but not limited to:
High Holidays, Sukkot, Simhat Torah, Hanukkah, Tu Bishvat, Purim, Passover,
Grade level appropriate family learning, and other all-school programs
- Develop and present an annual school budget to the Or Tzion Education Committee and the Or Tzion Board of Directors; provide oversight and management of this budget
- Attend or provide a report/update of RGRS for Ed Committee meetings
- Work with key donors to envision and implement programs that are donor funded
- Broaden adult educational programming with Senior Rabbi and Ed Committee to include the Parents of the RGRS.
- Develop a strategic plan with measurable goals on an annual basis
- Communicate regularly with and build relationships with various stakeholders including clergy and professional and support staff, board of directors, volunteers, community, parents and children
- Promote synagogue and school growth and retention
- Ritual Skill set to support clergy a plus
- Administrative responsibilities for day to day operations of RGRS
- Other duties as assigned