Program Specialist, MHWOW (North America)
Moishe House Hub Office: Chicago (preferred), Encinitas (preferred), Charlotte, D.C., or NYC
Who We Are:
When you work for Moishe House (pronounced moy-shuh), you become a part of something BIG: a global nonprofit that builds peer-led Jewish communities for young adults around the world! Founded in 2006, Moishe House funds, trains, and educates young adults to create pluralistic, inclusive, and welcoming Jewish communities as House Residents, MHWOW Hosts, Peer-Led-Retreat Facilitators, and in our Bases. To date, there are more than 150 Moishe House communities in over 30 countries, and we’re still growing!
The MHWOW (Moishe House Without Walls) team is seeking a Program Specialist to engage in relationship building, networking, and recruitment of young adults to be leaders in building community in their home town. This role manages existing MHWOW Hosts from our North American communities while growing MHWOW in cities where the organization has a substantial Moishe House presence.
The hundreds of MHWOW (pronounced letter “M”, letter “H”, and WOW) Hosts around the world gather their peers for Jewish experiences that range from Friday night Shabbat dinners to holiday celebrations, learning events, and cultural celebrations. MHWOW Hosts decide who they want to invite, where they want to host, what they want to explore in Judaism, and when they want to gather. This flexibility empowers MHWOW Hosts to explore, create, or refine their own Jewish practice. MHWOW hosts receive funding and resources to make programs relevant and accessible to their communities.
All voices are needed at Moishe House. Every new member of the Moishe House team is an opportunity for us to introduce fresh perspectives, talent, and skills into our workforce and our communities. People who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People Of Color (BIPOC) and historically marginalized groups, including, People with Disabilities, People from the LGBTQ+ communities are all encouraged to apply for our open positions!
We seek employees from diverse backgrounds, faiths, and life experiences to join our team located in the United States, South America, Europe, and the former Soviet Union. Our vision, in part, is for a fair and equitable workplace, where diversity is celebrated and can truly flourish. We recognize we have a ways to go and a lot to learn.
Who You Are and What You’ll Do:
- You understand and believe in our mission and bring a passion for nonprofit work
- You are a skilled relationship builder, conversationalist, and recruiter
- You are excited about supporting a diverse group of MHWOW hosts from different backgrounds with varying programming interests
- You approach challenges with creativity and offer efficient and creative solutions
- You are motivated by innovating, moving quickly, and executing well
- You have first-hand experience with creating and nurturing in-person and online communities.
- You’ll be a team player, member of the MHWOW team, and have responsibility for growing and maintaining MHWOW in the following ways:
- MHWOW Recruitment and Expansion (50% of your time):
- Creating and executing a North American recruitment strategy in partnership with the MHWOW, Resident Support, and Jewish Education teams
- Traveling approximately 2 times a year (1 – 4 days in length) meeting with active MHWOW Hosts and partner organizations
- Conducting interviews and onboarding calls with new hosts
- Administering the application and onboarding process for new hosts in our project management software
- MHWOW Host Support and Management (40% of your time):
- Engaging MHWOW hosts online and offline to drive quality programming
- Coaching MHWOW hosts to be accountable to our policies
- Managing host administration, including program approvals, reimbursement approvals, data tracking, and database management
- Special Projects (10% of your time), including:
- Collaborating with the Marketing and Jewish Education teams to assist in creating and executing resources for Jewish rituals, holidays, or cultural celebrations
- Supporting and staffing weekend-long retreats with Moishe House community builders (up to 2 additional trips per year)
- Offering programming or logistics support for Moishe House Training Conferences and other Jewish educational experiences (up to 2 additional trips per year)
- Supporting MHWOW Hosts in their fundraising during Moishe House’s annual WE ARE campaign
- Representing MHWOW in conversations with funders about the programming efforts of MHWOW hosts in North American communities
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent years of additional work experience
- You have at least 2 years of full-time post-undergraduate (beyond a Bachelor’s Degree) of professional experience
- You embrace and effectively demonstrate the Moishe Mindset: Be the Difference, Connect & Listen, Invest Wisely, Embrace the Unknown, Own It!, Value People, and Work Well, Live Well, and Have Fun!
- You’re flexible with your work hours, working shortened daytime office hours with some nights and weekends as needed.
- You have eligibility to work in the United States without employer sponsorship.
The Fine Print:
This position is based preferably in our Chicago or Encinitas Hub Office or in our Charlotte, NC, Washington, D.C., or NYC Hub Office, and reports to the Director, MHWOW (who is based in our Chicago Hub Office).
We’re excited to be returning to a hybrid work schedule at our Hub Offices, where employees can choose to work remotely 2 days per week and collaborate in-person with coworkers the rest of the week. Employees will receive prior notice in advance of starting this new schedule.
Moishe House requires "full vaccination" for all staff to travel, work in offices, and participate in any Moishe House group gatherings. We use the CDC's definition of "full vaccination" as the standard, with variations based on country as needed.
How Moishe House Takes Care of You:
- Healthcare: Health, vision, dental, and mental health benefits ($0 employee contribution option available)
- Time off: 15 days paid time off (used as needed for personal, vacation, and sick days) per year that increases with continued employment (additional benefits for former Hillel and BBYO employees through the Talent Alliance) PLUS office closures and up to 7 floating holidays for Jewish and US holidays
- 401(k): up to 3% matching after one year of employment
- Flexible Spending Account options
- Quarterly paid day of service
- Highly qualified, creative, and go-getter teammates and a dedicated supervisor
- Company discounts on flights, hotels, sporting events, concerts amusement parks, gyms, and more through Plum Benefits
- Schedule options to accommodate your work and lifestyle
- Opportunity to work in one of our U.S. Hub Offices (Charlotte, Chicago, Encinitas, DC, or NYC)!
How Moishe House Pays You:
- Moishe House’s starting salary ranges are based on education, experience, location, and skillset required for each role
- Starting salary ranges for this position:
- Charlotte, NC: $50,000 – $54,000/year
- Chicago: $52,000 - $56,000/year
- NYC, DC, or Encinitas, CA: $58,000-$62,000/year
- Annual merit-based salary increase
How Moishe House Invests in You:
- $750 Annual professional development fund
- One-on-one Jewish learning with an approved educator of your choice
- Paid work travel with perks including travel allowance, fitness classes, and accommodations
- Local professional learning opportunities
- Opportunities for advancement through Moishe House’s career path planning
- Schedule options to accommodate your work and lifestyle
- Opportunities to attend Moishe House Learning Retreats and Conferences