Director of Congregational Learning
Temple Israel Center, White Plains, NY
Are you excited to create innovative and dynamic learning opportunities for learners of all ages in a thriving synagogue? Does your pedagogical vision place the fostering of meaningful relationships at the heart of educational excellence? Are you motivated by working within a collaborative, vision-driven team? Then we’re excited to hear from you!
We are a fully egalitarian Conservative congregation with a large and vibrant membership base. Our community takes life-long learning seriously and we are dedicated to providing meaningful engagement opportunities for congregants of all ages, abilities, and levels of observance. We are deeply committed to fostering Jewish learning and community in an atmosphere of mutual respect and inclusion. We hope to build a strong sense of connectedness and inspire the building of robust Jewish identities through which we see ourselves and our place in the world around us.
What is the Position?
The Director of Congregational Learning is a senior member of synagogue leadership with strategic responsibilities for overseeing a talented team of professional educators, Shabbat youth services and Adult Education. ?The Director works closely with clergy, senior staff, and lay leaders to implement a unified, cohesive vision of education at TIC, and to ensure that each educational area excels according to its needs. The Director is supervised by the Senior Rabbi and will also work closely with the Director of Inclusion to promote and support the inclusion of all children, teens, and adults.
Who is the Successful Candidate?
You are energetic, dynamic, organized, and creative. You are excited to supervise a talented team of educators and you lead by example. You have a deep appreciation for collaboration and planning with colleagues, clergy, and congregants, and are warm and welcoming. You are passionate about creating and implementing Jewish education that is inclusive of a diverse and vibrant community. You are a visionary who enjoys strategic thinking and thrives on meaningful Jewish programming and relationships. You have an MA in Education/Jewish Education, and/or Rabbinic ordination and 5+ years of relevant experience.
What are the Responsibilities?
- Serve as the visionary for congregational learning and be responsible for the strategy and standards for all education taking place at the synagogue.
- Innovate, evaluate, and enhance the educational experiences for all learners.
- Partner with the Education team, clergy and lay leaders to ensure comprehensive educational engagement across the TIC community.
- Work with our strong and committed lay leadership to plan, promote, lead, and assess new initiatives and ongoing programs.
- Work with clergy and lay leaders to develop the vision for Adult Education including the Rabbi Gordon Tucker Fund, TIC Talks, Eat Pray Learn, The Learning Institute, and the Education Council.
- Oversee Shabbat family engagement, including supervising leaders of multiple youth and family services on Shabbat morning, leading a youth service, and coordinating periodic special Friday evening, Shabbat afternoon and havdalah experiences.
- Work with the Education team and clergy to support the development and implementation of community-wide programming.
- Lead, supervise, guide and evaluate a strong team of Jewish educators.
- Partner with the Education team, clergy and lay leaders to set, measure, achieve and assess educational goals.
- Inspire, collaborate and strategize with the Education team and support staff through meetings, committees, and task forces.
- Oversee professional development and mentoring for team members.
- Observe, evaluate, and provide feedback to the Education team.
- Hire and supervise part-time educators based on the needs of our evolving program.
- Periodically teach in Limmud (High School Program).
- Be an active presence in Shorashim (religious school) to help support and provide direction around the program.
- Annually prepare and maintain the Education Department budget with input from the Education team.
When Do We Want You?
July 1, 2022 or sooner if available.
This is a leadership position for a seasoned Educator or Rabbi/Educator with a salary range beginning at $115,000 depending on experience, plus an attractive benefits package.
Excited? Here’s What to Do:
Check out our TIC website to learn more about our innovative programming.
For questions, more information about the position, and to apply (by sharing a resume and cover letter), contact ?[email protected].