Temple Israel of the City of New is a leading Reform Jewish congregation in the heart of the Upper East Side. Temple Israel fosters an appreciation for the warmth of tradition, passion for Israel, and connection to world Jewry. Over the years we have enriched and embellished this kehillah kedosha where we have transformed our community into a “family of families.
The Education Coordinator/Youth Director is a “Shared Position” with Temple Israel of the City of New York and the URJ’s Crane Lake Camp. During the Academic year (September- May) The ECYD responsible for the general management of the office and assists with the coordination of all programs associated with the Department of Lifelong Learning (Religious School, Teen Programs and Adult Education). Under supervision of the Director of Lifelong Learning, the ECYD is responsible for managing day-to-day needs of all programs in the department. In addition, the ECYD will oversee, execute and expand the Youth Programs of Temple Israel as a vital member of the Department of Lifelong Learning Team. The ECYD serves to foster a holistic approach to youth, family and summer camp engagement while striving to create effective and meaningful relationships with other employees, teachers, and most importantly Temple Israel families and teens.
Administrative and Programmatic Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists Director of Lifelong Learning as well as all educators in the Department of Lifelong Learning.
- Serves as the face and point person for the department of LLL: Welcomes families and visitors by phone or in person. Answers phones and tracks incoming calls and messages. Relays important information to the team.
- Maintains all accurate information for all Student and Adult learners.
- Ensures the effectiveness of all aspects of the DoLL’s interactions and communications with constituent groups, school, leadership, staff, professional colleagues and community representatives.
- Responsible for all aspects of participant registration in various Lifelong Learning programs.
- Works closely with Director of Lifelong Learning, RS Assistant Director and Parents’ Association to manage program needs, including scheduling space, logistics, negotiating with vendors, photography, etc.
- Liaison to Religious School Parents’ Association and various Education Committees or Taskforces.
- Collaborates with Temple wide staff to support all major holidays and events.
- Maintains program calendar, driving all needs for each program including communication, publicity and operational needs.
- Helps to facilitate family and teen oriented special events/Shabbat experiences.
- Helps to support DoLL faculty by: offering curricular feedback and input, helping to onboard those that are new, and maintaining faculty payroll.
- Collaborates on all learning programs, helps to evaluate as well as infuse existing programs with new life.
- Creates a professional and synchronized marketing plan for all programs in the Department of LLL. Partners with Communications Team to ensure promotional materials and social media engage learners of all ages and draw constituents to our programs.
Youth Director Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Actively recruits students and teens for all Youth Activities, includes overseeing marketing, social media and communication.
- As a member of the DoLL team, helps to plan, and facilitate all programs for our 9th-12th grade Academy teens including monthly class as well as informal youth programs.
- Helps to plan and facilitate all activities for our 7th-8th grade Junior Academy teens including Weekly or monthly classes as well as informal youth programs.
- Helps to plan and facilitate all youth activities for k-6th grade students.
- Seeks opportunities to infuse youth programming into our existing formal school structure.
- Oversees and supports the YETI Board (Youth Engagement at Temple Israel)
- Develops and models engagement with NFTY Regional and National events
- As an organic bridge to youth programming, the ECYD serves to actively recruit new campers to URJ camps, summer programs and offseason retreats- especially to those the ECYD is attending/staffing.
- Help to plan and attend local, national and international trips and retreats for 7th-12th grade.
- Attends local networking meetings with peers from other institutions, includes but not limited to Academy trip planning meetings and critical colleague groups.
- Attends Shared Position Conference in Cincinnati if both DoLL and Camp Director deem appropriate in any given year.
- Summer leadership assignment as outlined and determined by Camp Director.
- Attends New Camper weekend and 2 family camp weekends.
- Responsible for attending a monthly mentoring call with Director
- Participates in a bi-monthly cohort meeting (likely all over zoom)
- Owns the creation of the Crane Lake daily activity schedule.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Outstanding interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Knowledge of Jewish rituals, customs, holidays and congregational life, an understanding of Reform Judaism a plus.
- Experience working with children and teens in a camp, synagogue or educational setting.
- Experience teaching in an informal or formal setting.
- Passion for Jewish life, teen engagement, and Jewish education.
- Works well under pressure in a busy environment.
- Highly organized and able to multitask.
- Can prioritize work assignments for him/herself and for others.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.?
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office. Knowledge of ShulCloud is a plus.