Youth Group Advisor
Temple Chai, a thriving and growing Reform Jewish congregation of more than 500 member families in Phoenix, AZ is seeking a part-time Youth Group Advisor. We wish to hire someone with experience working with youth (3rd-12th grade), a desire for instilling excitement about and love of Judaism into the lives of our youth, and the ability to guide and empower our youth to become tomorrow’s Jewish leaders.
Temple Chai’s youth groups are in an exciting period of renewal and growth, and we are looking for a partner and leader in this process of continuing to strengthen and expand our three youth groups: TCTY (Temple Chai Temple Youth, for 9th-12th grade), TCTY Jr (for 6th-8th grades), and TCTY Mini (for 3rd-5th grades).
Youth Group Advisor will:
- Work with Director of Education on visioning and planning for all three youth groups and youth programming at Temple Chai, broadly understood.
- Execute and chaperone a well-rounded schedule of regularly scheduled youth group events (approximately one event monthly in August through May for each of TCTY, TCTY Jr, and TCTY Mini, totaling 9-10 events per youth group). This should include social, spiritual/religious, social action, cultural, and educational events and content.
- Be responsible for the logistic & administrative planning of each youth group event, including publicity with assistance from Communications Coordinator.
- Work to build teen leadership by assembling a TCTY teen board (or core team of teens) and empower them to roles of planning and leadership.
- Begin building a core teen/tween leadership group within TCTY Jr to empower and grow into age-appropriate leadership opportunities.
- Maintain ongoing communication with our youth and their families through email, social media, text, phone calls, flyers, etc., and utilize social media to increase exposure for youth group and youth group programming, particularly regarding TCTY.
- Chaperone regional youth group events when TCTYites are attending, or when otherwise necessary or beneficial.
- Assist with recruitment for L’taken Social Justice Seminar trip as well as other teen trips; there is the potential opportunity to chaperone or serve as second chaperone for this and other such immersive experience, if desired and possible for Youth Group Advisor’s schedule.
- Meet regularly with Director of Education to review past events, discuss future events, and for general check-in and supervision.
- Develop relationships and rapport with Temple youth and their families.
- Serve as positive Jewish role model for youth of all ages.
This is a salaried part-time position from August through May (exact dates flexible) that will vary from week to week, averaging roughly 10 hours per week. Compensation will be $10,000. The work of a youth group advisor is quite variable and will not require standard in-office hours. It is therefore certainly possible for this position to be held by someone working a different full-time position or someone who is a full-time student.
Youth Group Advisor will be supervised by the Director of Education. This position has the potential to grow alongside our youth program, and there may be other potential opportunities for involvement in the congregation such as teaching religious school, etc.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and should be submitted to Temple Chai’s Director of Education, Amanda Campbell: [email protected]