Director of Westchester Summer Day located on the Long Island Sound in Mamaroneck, NY on a 26- acre campus.
Our 500 campers come from all over Westchester County, NYC and beyond to spend their summer at our program. We are a service-driven day camp program for the Jewish community, providing superior staff leader to child ratio, flexible scheduling, a daily hot lunch, and a wide variety of summer activities including swimming, boating, challenge course featuring a climbing wall and full ropes course, nature programs, arts & crafts, music, sports and lots more.
The position offers an unprecedented opportunity for an innovative, dynamic, charismatic leader to further develop a Summer Program which has an abounding and successful 50 year tradition and a bright future. The Director is responsible for building a quality program and overseeing the summer operations, including recruitment, communicating with families, hiring and developing the leadership team and group leaders, and marketing its program. Candidate should have a minimum of a BA, significant experience in camping and a passionate connection to their Jewish identity. In this role, the Director will maintain compliance with the Westchester Department of Health standards and requirements. The Director will work with the Program’s stakeholders to develop/deliver a vision for a summer program that is compelling, creative and Jewish.
• Plan, coordinate, oversee, implement and evaluate all aspects of the Summer Program operations
• Develop and implement marketing and recruitment plan to meet the budgetary enrollment goals
• Operate in a fiscally responsible manner consistent with the Summer Program budget and mission
• Develop and deliver strategic programs and communications during the year that connects the summer participants back to their summer experience
• Develop and implement dynamic and cutting edge programs and activities which also further the Jewish identity of participants through integration of Jewish values/life/culture
• Responsible for recruitment of children and staff
• Design program and staff training module
• Develop programs that will keep the program in the forefront of Jewish day camps and Summer Programs
• Develop and implement the Program’s marketing, which may include local travel as needed. This aspect may include development of materials, social media, in person events and other channels to promote the Program.
Staff Development and Supervision
• Foster a strong team culture, in particular among senior staff
• Manage the administration and supervision of all summer personnel
• Supervise staff in a manner consistent with the values of the Program and the development of the individual.
• Ensure that staff is provided with feedback that results in a formal evaluation
• Plan and conduct pre-summer and summer staff meetings and training
• Develop creative solutions to recruit and retain the highest quality staffers.
• Supervise the opening and closing of the program
• Coordinate and provide oversight for transportation and other special and/or medical needs of children and staff
• Overall supervision of Board of Health relations
• Interface with relevant agencies for required certifications or accreditations
• Minimum of a college degree and proven leadership and management experience
• At least three years of leadership experience in a camp setting, working with both children and staff
• Day Camp Senior Staff experience a plus.
• Experience with and openness to relate to people of all backgrounds, knowledge and observance levels
• Ability to think about the big picture while also focusing on the details
• Strong communication skills, both written and spoken, preferably with basic skills in Hebrew
• Good interpersonal skills, maintains confidentiality, works with integrity
• Good computer skills
• Highly organized with a keen attention to detail
• Strong time-management skills