About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
Visit our career site to learn more: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
Oversee the financial administration and reporting for assets totaling approximately $140 million, including 25 supporting foundations, several hundred split interest agreements (charitable remainder trusts, charitable gift annuities), endowment funds, day school funds and community trusts. Manage both internal staff and outside resources to ensure that transactions are properly recorded, invested and reported in accordance with the terms of donor agreements, various governmental/agency requirements and generally accepted accounting principles.
Position reports directly to the Vice President of Planned Giving & Endowments, with close collaboration with the Assistant Controller of UJA-Federation.
· Manage all financial aspects of the Planned Giving Department (PG&E), including maintenance of database software information and coordination of financial information flow.
· Oversee distribution of payments and tax information to annuity beneficiaries.
· Review and/or prepare journal entries, cash flow analyses and financial statements for all PG&E related activities.
· Oversee preparation of all tax and regulatory filings (federal, state and local, as well as NY State Insurance Dept.)
· Maintain, develop and implement departmental policies and procedures to conform to UJA-Federation policies, regulatory requirements and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
· Communicate with donors, financial institutions and departments within UJA-Federation on a wide range of financial topics relating to planned giving.
· Special projects, as required.
· Manage Senior Accountant.
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written.
· Strong accounting skills and working knowledge of GAAP. Prior not-for-profit accounting experience and familiarity with split interest agreements a major plus.
· Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Word and Access. Demonstrated ability to work with specific applications software such as accounting/general ledger, fundraising and planned gift administration.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, CPA a plus.
· 6-8 years of accounting experience in a large corporate and/or not-for-profit environment, including a minimum of 2-3 years in public accounting.
· Prior supervisory experience preferred.
The salary range for this role is $115,000 - 120,000; commensurate with experience and qualifications listed above.
How to Apply:
Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please submit your application directly to our job board at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF.
Great Perks. Because We Appreciate Great Employees.
We offer a generous number of vacation days and have the Jewish holidays off as well. Fridays our offices close early (October to March at 3:00 pm and April to September at 4:00 pm). All so you can relax and recharge.
UJA provides a top-tier medical and dental plan, along with a flexible spending account. We also offer life insurance. And for a small cost you can take part in on-site yoga and exercise classes at our Manhattan office. Wellness matters to us.
Planning for Retirement:
UJA employees can enroll in a pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Classes, workshops, and compelling speakers will keep you at the top of your game.
We come together as a staff to commemorate holidays (from Rosh Hashanah to MLK Day), volunteer at nonprofits, and celebrate our accomplishments together. (Our chocolate chip cookies are legendary!)
Some More (Yes, more!)
We also offer a backup childcare program. And a commuter benefit plan. So you can get to work and feel good about it.
Also, a lot of the times, we’re wearing jeans.