Our client, Beth Sholom Synagogue is a vibrant many-generational 1000+ family congregation, located in Toronto, providing members with a place for prayer, observance of life-cycle events, lifelong learning, social and cultural programs and Jewish support in times of joy and loss. A key strength of Beth Sholom in achieving this mission is a warm and welcoming spiritual leadership team who aim to inspire people to connect to Judaism.
Reporting to the Senior Rabbi, the Assistant Rabbi is expected to model, teach and be personally engaged within our larger community through traditional rabbinic duties: such as engagement with young families, social programming for conversion candidates, and working with our clergy team to develop and implement the kind of provocative programming you think would be inspiring and meaningful to the congregation. It is expected that, at least initially, there will be a particular emphasis on the development and broadening of relationships with young families through, among other things, targeted outreach and programming initiatives.
- Create, improve, implement and evaluate regular religious (Shabbat and Holiday), educational and cultural programs and experiences.
- Share rabbinic duties with spiritual leadership team including, but not limited to, leading services, planning holiday experiences, covering minyanim, teaching, preaching, pastoral care and life-cycle events.
- Lead congregational school and teen programs.
- Support lay committees.
- Develop and maintain budgets to achieve programmatic objectives.
- Carry out personal administrative tasks such as communications, reporting and maintain records for data analysis and convenience of successive leaders.
- Other duties that may arise and be agreed to.
We would like this position to be filled by someone who is a living example of meaningful, passionate and genuine Conservative Judaism as defined by the congregation. You should also be a person who can relate and engage with other people authentically, have good organizing skills, be able to take a set of goals and carry them through to implementation. You should also be an effective communicator, adept with social media and be strongly conversant in essential rabbinic texts.
Beth Sholom Synagogue is approaching its 75th anniversary and undertaking a $20 million renovation to accommodate the needs of its growing congregation; growth that is driven primarily by young Jewish families living in the area surrounding the shul. The neighborhood is amongst the most vibrant in North America’s 4th largest city.
- Rabbinic ordination from a recognized Seminary.
- Minimum of two (2), but no more than 10, years experience in a congregational setting or related field.
Please submit your application to: Assistant Rabbi – Toronto, Canada (#940) | Joel Paul Group