Executive Director at Texas Hillel
Texas Hillel is ??a hub of vibrant activity, where Jewish students come together to grow as independent thinkers and to become the next generation of Jewish leaders. As the Executive Director of this dynamic, inclusive organization, you will be responsible for defining and leading this successful Hillel going forward. You will be a source of inspiration for students and staff, able to effectively engage all stakeholders in vision-setting and day-to-day financial management and operations.
Under your leadership, Texas Hillel will continue to broaden relationships within the university, the larger Austin Jewish community, and nationally. The Executive Director will develop critical resources to increase the breadth and depth of student engagement, ensuring that students of all denominations feel welcome to participate. Texas Hillel will drive experiences that connect students to the Jewish community on campus and the larger Jewish world. The ideal candidate will passionately support and engage students, lead a team, collaboratively set strategic vision, develop human and financial resources, and model for students an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Drive long-term success for Texas Hillel in:
Strategy & Vision:
- Embrace Texas Hillel’s unique, diverse culture and find opportunities for partnership and connection where these opportunities intersect with Hillel’s priorities and the larger Hillel movement.
- Inspire and organize pluralistic, diverse Jewish life on campus. Create strategies to expand the base of the Jewish student community to include a multiplicity of Jewish backgrounds and interests that complement students’ other priorities during their college experience.
- Lead the board in vision and strategic planning. Manage all financial responsibilities, operating within the approved budget, ensuring resource development and utilization, and keeping the organization in a positive financial position.
Financial Resource Development:
- Develop Texas Hillel’s financial resources to be commensurate with the organization’s programming and growth, collaboratively with the development professional.
- Develop and implement a robust multi-faceted annual development plan including, stewardship of gifts and donor relations.
- Personally engage in donor solicitation and stewardship, as well as manage the relationships with granting organizations and foundations.
- Develop additional revenue resources.
Staff Supervision & Development:
- Inspire, develop, supervise, and mentor a professional staff team that delivers on a vision of pluralism, inclusivity, and student leadership development in order to deepen students’ relationships to Jewish life, Jewish learning and Israel.
- Establish a culture of professional development and growth.
- Exhibit organizational and communal leadership by cultivating relationships with all stakeholders, including student and university leaders, Jewish community leaders in Austin and beyond, as well as alumni and parents across the country.
- Serve as Texas Hillel’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public, engaging the community in the importance of Hillel’s mission and purpose.
- Create a culture of shared responsibility and engagement among members of the board of directors and cultivate relationships with prospective board members who can provide generative and strategic leadership.
Operations & Financial Management
- Oversee all facility operations, including preventive maintenance, repairs, and improvements/renovations.
- Manage and negotiate as needed all contracts with grantors, service providers, and vendors.
- Ensure the security of the facility and its occupants through coordination with law enforcement agencies and community security experts.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, deposits, payroll, and all other financial transactions.
- Ensure ongoing and proper financial management through coordination with accountants, auditors, and financial institutions.
- Prepare monthly financial summaries for review by the Finance & Executive Committees.
- Ensure the student engagement strategy is dynamic, inclusive and successful in meeting its goals.
- Recognize and adapt to the changing needs of Jewish college students, Jewish identity development and campus climate.
- Led organizations or programs with a proven and measurable track record of innovation and sustainable growth.
- Managed and supervised a team of professionals in an exemplary manner to accomplish their best work and develop their potential.
- Demonstrated personal fundraising experience including executing annual fundraising campaigns, cultivation, stewardship, and major gift solicitation.
- Successfully partnered with a non-profit board of directors, granting foundations and grant issuing organizations.
- Sound financial management practices including budgeting and cost controls.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred. We will consider a range of candidates’ experiences and credentials.
- Experience in management roles in the Jewish or secular nonprofit community, higher education, or mission-driven organizational world is a plus. Past Hillel experience is a plus as well.
- Passion, wisdom and maturity that inspires students, staff and other key stakeholders.
- An inspiring presence that will encourage students to deepen their interest in Jewish life, staff to invest in their work, and donors to commit to Texas Hillel’s financial future.
- Strong relationship building skills and embracing inclusivity and different perspectives.
- Proactive communication and collaboration across offices and agencies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong administrative skills and knowledge of finance.
- A nuanced understanding of Judaism, Israel and antisemitism in a way that is accessible and meets students at various points in their personal Jewish journey.
- A commitment to travel, as needed, throughout Texas and beyond to cultivate supporters and leadership, and receive professional training.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $140,000-170,000 depending upon skills, qualifications, and experience.
- Medical Insurance, Life insurance, long term disability (LTD), vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Opportunities for travel throughout the U.S. and to Israel.
- A supportive and committed board of lay leaders.
- Access to and support from Hillel International and the larger Hillel movement.
About Texas Hillel
With a Jewish population of over 2,700 students, Texas Hillel is the center of Jewish student life at The University of Texas and for other Jewish college students in the Austin and San Antonio area. The nearly 100 year old organization is housed in our own 18,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art building, The Topfer Center for Jewish Life. Governed by a geographically diverse board of directors, Texas Hillel enjoys strong partnerships with the UT Austin campus and community organizations. Long recognized by Hillel International and The University of Texas at Austin for innovation, Texas Hillel is adjacent to the UT-Austin campus and enjoys a strong partnership with The University and the wider Jewish community. Texas Hillel was awarded a Community Partnership Award in 2022 from The University of Texas at Austin’s Office of the President and the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement (DDCE). A longtime partner with the university and the DDCE, Texas Hillel has played an essential role in promoting educational and policy change on campus, leading the way toward positive changes that benefit Jewish students and all members of the university community.
About University of Texas: The University of Texas is a bold, ambitious leader supporting some 52,000 diverse students, 3,000 teaching faculty, and top national programs across 18 colleges and schools. Set in one of the fastest growing cities in the United States, the young, vibrant, creative and entrepreneurial city of Austin, the university provides students the opportunity to explore a huge variety of arts, sporting and cultural experiences and countless career opportunities upon graduation.
Learn more about University of Texas Hillel here https://texashillel.org/ and watch this video!
Texas Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.Hillel.org/Jobs and include your resume and cover letter.
Preference will be given to those who apply by February 3, 2023.
If you have any questions about this role please contact:
Merrie Gebhardt – Director, Executive Talent Management, Hillel International.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.