Jewish Family & Children's Service is seeking a full-time Senior Philanthropic Advisor (Major Gifts Officer) to join a vibrant Development team and play a critical role in furthering our mission of providing exceptional human services, guided by Jewish traditions of social responsibility, compassion, and respect for all members of the community.
The Senior Philanthropic Advisor is a key member of the JF&CS Development Team, and will secure outright, multi-year, and planned gift commitments from individual donors at the level of $5,000 or more. In addition, the Senior Philanthropic Advisor works closely with the Chief Philanthropy Officer, CEO, marketing and development colleagues, program directors, board, and volunteer leadership to achieve the goals of the philanthropy program in support of JF&CS programs and services. The ideal candidate enjoys the dynamics of a fast-paced organization, a collaborative environment, and is looking for a position where their work will provide an opportunity to "do good" in the world as part of a high-impact organization providing direct services in the areas of mental health, economic insecurity, Holocaust survivor services, services for older adults, services for people with disabilities, and services for young families.
Reports to: Chief Philanthropy Officer
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages the engagement, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of approximately 150 major and planned gift prospects and donors. Works with board members, program directors, administrators, and other key volunteer leaders in these efforts.
- Participates directly in the cultivation, solicitation and closure of gifts. Develops individualized strategies through collaboration with other colleagues, program staff and volunteers. Identifies new prospects and opportunities for philanthropic support as appropriate.
- Serves as liaison to program areas as determined by Chief Philanthropy Officer and assists with Advisory Committee meetings for assigned program areas.
- Prepares written briefings for all visits and related follow-up involving the CEO, Board of Directors, and Chief Philanthropy Officer.
- Establishes strong relationships with program directors, gaining an in-depth understanding of key agency programs and priorities and helping to educate donors and prospective donors as to philanthropic opportunities.
- Additional responsibilities as needed.
- Significant fund-raising experience, preferably in Greater Boston. Experience in social service agencies and/or fundraising in the Jewish community a plus.
- Proven track record of successful identification, cultivation, solicitation, and closure of major gifts ($10,000 and above), including successful closure of six figure and planned gifts.
- Frontline gift experience developing and managing a portfolio of major and planned gift prospects.
- Integrity, sound judgment, self-confidence, as well as a sense of humor and emotional intelligence.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills and ability to articulate the mission and goals of the agency in writing and in person.
- Ability to be a self-starter and initiator, and ability to effectively work independently and on a team.
- Exhibition of a high level of energy and ability to work on many tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Commitment to the mission and culture of JF&CS.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (excel, word, outlook, power point) as well as CRM (Raiser's Edge a plus).
Frequently cited statistics show that women/underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the criteria. JF&CS encourages you to break that statistic and apply.
Compensation/Location: JF&CS offers a generous compensation package including comprehensive benefits and vacation/paid holidays. JF&CS staff are currently working at least two days a week in our Waltham office, and other days may choose to work remotely. This position also involves travel (local to Boston area) to meet with donors and supporters.
For more than 150 years, Jewish Family & Children's Service has been helping individuals and families build a strong foundation for resilience and well-being across the lifespan. Through an integrated portfolio of more than 40 programs reaching communities throughout Eastern and Central Massachusetts, JF&CS focuses on meeting the needs of new parents and their children, older adults and family caregivers, children and adults with disabilities, and people experiencing poverty, hunger, or domestic abuse. Learn more at jfcsboston.org
JF&CS is an equal opportunity employer who serves and employs people of all cultures and faith traditions and highly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Employment opportunities are available to all without regard for race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability.