Families with Young Children Program Coordinator (FwYC PC)
Dates: 9 months per year (September - May, plus 2-3 summer Shabbat evenings)
Hours: 5 hours per week (average) some days/times set at holiday programs, others flexible
Compensation: $6000 per 9 months
Applicants should send cover letter and resume to Hillary Pinsker Engler at [email protected]
Temple HBT, a down-to-earth, social justice-y, economically and racially diverse Reconstructionist synagogue in the city of Boston, is looking for someone to work with existing and potential Families with Young Children (FwYC), oversee our current FwYC programming, and collaborate with our Education Team to meet the needs of FwYC in our community. This may include helping develop new programs as necessary. An ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal and organizational skills, will be familiar with the needs and challenges of FwYC, and will fit in well with our synagogue culture as a representative of Temple HBT.
Responsibilities: Event planning/organizing, database maintenance, outreach and communication to potential FwYC who express interest in/attend HBT programs (will need to send regular reminders and reach out one on one leading up to and day-of events by email and text), building relationships with interested FwYC and helping them connect with each other and existing HBT member FwYC, working with Administrator to publicize FwYC events and maintain social media presence
Programs will need to be modified due to COVID-19 (ex: offering programs outdoors).
Shabbat Programs for FwYC:
- Monthly Shakin’ Shabbat (Friday evenings) at HBT in School Year (led by Rabbi):
There are 8-9 Shakin’ Shabbats in a school year- about half followed by standalone dinner, half followed by all-community dinner
- Summer Shakin’ Shabbat (Friday evenings) outside at HBT in June/July/August
There are 3 Summer Shakin’ Shabbat dinners, no service with Rabbi but lead blessings and singing, and organize dinner (order dinner, have attendees bring side dishes, desserts etc)
- Saturday morning Tot Shabbat at HBT in School Year (led by Rabbi)
We usually try to have a few of these each year, concurrent with Rabbi-led Family Shabbat morning service.
PC will: send regular group and individual reminders to families about upcoming Shakin’ Shabbats, Summer Shabbat, Tot Shabbat, track families’ attendance on FwYC database, organize snack for Tot Shabbat and order food for standalone and summer dinners for FwYC based on rsvps, attend program, make sure things run smoothly/there are toys/materials out as needed
Holiday Programming for FwYC:
Some of these are standalone events for FwYC, and some are broader community events where programming specifically for FwYC is needed. Not all programs are run each year.
- HHD (services/programs for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, early break-the-fast dinner for YK, babysitting during adult services)
- Sukkot (activities at Sukkot KY- sukkah decoration making, etc)
- Hanukkah (at community Hanukkah Havdalah, have cookie decorating, story, games)
- Pajama Havdalah (standalone event w/ activities & dinner- Rabbi leads mini-service)
- Purim (separate play/spiel for FwYC, early entry to carnival)
- Passover (activities at Passover KY, organize/lead 2nd night seder)
- Lag B’Omer/Yom Ha’atzma’ut (FwYC games/activities at community picnic)
- Miscellaneous- FwYC activities at any other Kulanu Yachad programs
PC will: plan/coordinate (under supervision from Education Director) services/activities, help find service/program leaders for HHD, organize babysitters for HHD, send regular reminder emails to parents, work with Administrator to publicize events, track attendance, organize/plan/purchase dinners/materials as needed.