Founded in 1899, Temple De Hirsch Sinai carries forward our progressive legacy of community, inclusion, integrity, and diversity. “Love your neighbor as yourself” informs all that we do. As a prominent leader in the region’s Jewish and civic life, our growing congregation welcomes and engages more than 5,000 individual members and the greater community on two campuses, to connect through dynamic and meaningful education, programs, worship, and social justice (tikkun olam) work.
The Chief Financial Officer reports to the Executive Director and assumes a strategic role in the overall management of the company. The CFO will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and controlling all financial-related activities of Temple De Hirsch Sinai. This will include direct responsibility for accounting, budget preparation and monitoring, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, cost analysis, legal, tax compliance, property management, business development deal analysis, work with investment advisors, third party payor relationships and negotiations, contract compliance and financial regulatory compliance.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Some illustrative responsibilities are:
- Develop scenario forecasting models
- Create dashboard reports for Board and Finance meetings
- Create monthly close schedule with Board review by the 15th
- Review department procedures for efficiency and effectiveness (Ongoing)
- Review new software solutions to improve productivity
- Review all vendor contracts for costs vs. utilization
- Attend Accounting, Finance, Investment and Board Meetings
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations
- Oversees the adherence to all internal controls
- Monitors and manages all expenses to ensure most effective use of assets
- Determines appropriate release of temporarily restricted funds
- Reviews and manages cash flow
- Reviews all financial reports
- Develop written budget process
- Develop automated budget vs actual reporting in MIP
- Manages Insurance program and reviews changes with ED
- Prepares property tax exemption reports
- Prepares quarterly sales and use tax report
- Prepares Annual Report for Secretary of State
- Oversee Annual Audit engagement
- Manage new software implementations including ERP, CRM and Expense Mgt SW
- Maintain banking relations and ensure compliance with loan covenants
- Attending and presenting at board meetings
- Attending investment committee meetings
- Attending and running finance meetings (including creating the agenda in collaboration with Treasurer)
Any combination of experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position is qualifying. This includes:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in accounting and/or CPA preferred
- Five+ years working in accounting for an accounting firm, a nonprofit or for-profit organization. Experience with fund accounting a plus.
- Proven managerial skills such as hiring, supporting, and motivating staff, managing consultants and vendors, resourceful and cost-effective budgeting
- Ability to balancing multiple priorities and projects is essential
- Demonstrating exceptional integrity, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite, including adeptness with Excel; familiarity and facility with accounting software and ability to learn new software.
The health of our Temple members and staff is a high priority for us, and we’re committed to making our community as safe as possible. We follow strict COVID protocols as recommended by Seattle and King County Public Health, as well as our own team of medical consultants and experts. In alignment with this commitment, we require all Temple employees to be fully vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination upon employment.
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary range is $150,000 plus, depending on experience. Benefits include vacation, holiday, and sick leave, long-term disability, and health and dental insurance covered in full.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume, and references to Lisa Horowitz, Executive Director, [email protected].