Chief Strategy Officer
Anywhere between Boston, MA to Arlington, VA
Encounter is an educational organization committed to informed, courageous, and resilient Jewish communal leadership on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
To learn more, visit www.encounterprograms.org.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and serving as a member of Encounter’s leadership team, the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) plays a critical role in amplifying the message of Encounter externally, while bringing focus and discipline to long term planning and day to day execution internally at the highest level. The CSO holds a primary function in overseeing the development team, and in the creation and implementation of an integrated development strategy across the entire organization. This CSO will work with the operations and education teams to drive shared alignment and decision making across all parts of the organization. This CSO must have experience in being an expert influencer, a successful manager and supervisor and the desire to be a trusted advisor to the CEO, board leadership and organizational partners.
Encounter is a mission-driven, results oriented, and growing organization with a small but mighty team of thoughtful, dedicated professionals. We care deeply about our work and about each other and go to great efforts to support each individual’s unique talents and contributions to drive towards greater impact individually and collectively.
- Working in close partnership with the CEO to develop and maintain relationships with a portfolio of stakeholders, partners, and board members.
- Managing and supervising of all of Encounter’s fund development strategies; supervision and coordination of the development team
- Representing the thought leadership of Encounter in public forums, in meetings with partners and in stewardship conversations with constituent groups.
- Weaving the functions of the development team seamlessly into the day-to-day functionality of the organization.
- In conjunction with the CEO and the development team, setting and tracking realistic revenue generation goals.
- Owning responsibility for ensuring the organization is focused on implementing day to day work at the highest level and planning for future opportunities and growth at an appropriate cadence.
Qualifications & Skills
- Familiarity and comfort with navigating the complex dynamics that animate Jewish communal life in the US and Israel as it relates to the Israeli-Palestinian reality. Strong commitment to Encounter’s organizational values - specifically Ahavat Yisrael and K’vod Ha’Adam.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a leadership position, including significant experience with managing others, meaningful stewardship of donors and development of successful partnerships.
- Expert manager of both people and projects, adept at multitasking, unintimidated by uncertainty and excels at driving towards bottom-line results and outcomes.
- Entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to management.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve goals.
- Strong professional demeanor, an ability to lead with authority balanced with humility, and a comfort speaking publicly and representing Encounter to diverse stakeholders.
- Radical candor is a principle of engagement at Encounter. The successful candidate must possess a strong sense of self, be comfortable with giving and receiving feedback, and be able to meet moments of pressure with centeredness, humility, and a generosity of spirit.
- This position will require occasional travel (approximately 10-15% of time) throughout the year, both domestically and to Israel and the West Bank.
$155,000- $175,000 commensurate with experience. Competitive compensation and benefits package, including 100% medical insurance coverage plus 50% coverage for eligible dependents. Generous vacation package and holiday schedule. Flexible work environment.
This position description is based upon material provided by the Encounter, an equal opportunity employer. Encounter is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Dara Z. Klarfeld, CEO
Sarah Jones, Senior Associate
Jin Lee, Associate