Beth Shir Shalom (BSS), a reform Santa Monica synagogue, seeks an energetic, self-directed Office Administrator to assist Executive Director, clergy, senior staff, and volunteers in overseeing the day-to-day operations of the synagogue.
About the Congregation
Beth Shir Shalom is a Reform Santa Monica Synagogue. Here at BSS, everyone who walks through the door is met with open arms, regardless of circumstance, race, religion, orientation, or gender. It is a community of learning, friendship, and commitment to social justice. It is a community that sings together, cries together, and changes the world together.
About the Job
The Office Administrator is the catalyst for smooth and reliable day-to-day operations. The ideal candidate enjoys serving in a synagogue workplace and can work well both independently and as part of a team. They must have excellent communication, written and organizational skills, be able to assist with events, logistics for holidays, interface with members, staff, clergy and lay leadership, and offer general office support. Enthusiasm, honesty, a positive attitude, ability to ask for help, and a sense of humor are essential.
Temple Administration and Facilities
- Assist in all synagogue events and Jewish holidays. This includes coordinating security, food and materials.
- Create a welcoming, responsive, and inclusive environment for all visitors (by phone, email, and on-site)
- Maintain the temple’s internal and external calendars, including the scheduling of building usage (such as rentals).
- Work closely with the Executive Director to ensure that the building, offices, and technologies are maintained in proper condition.
- Work with renters and potential renters of space within the building.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director, Rabbi, and Education Directors.
- Assist in the coordination of meetings and in the preparation of meeting materials.
Membership and Donation Management
- Maintain the ShulCloud membership database and the Constant Contact mailing list.
- Assist the Executive Director, rabbi and the board of trustees in preparing membership and donation rosters.
Fiscal and Human Resources
- Provide administrative support for the bookkeeping and treasury functions.
- Process all payments that come in.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required. Any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job. The candidate should be comfortable working with commonly-used commercial software, such as Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, Constant Contact, and Zoom, as well as synagogue-specific applications. Knowledge of ShulCloud and Wordpress is a plus. Applicants must be able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive member information. Knowledge of Jewish holidays & customs, and local Jewish communities is helpful.
Pay and Hours
This is an “at-will” part-time, hourly position. Work schedule is 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, but may require occasional additional hours to provide support for events. There may be instances where the Office Administrator is needed to assist at religious services, meetings, and holiday events outside of normal business hours. Starting pay range: $21 - $25/hour commensurate on education and experience.
Benefits: 10 accrued vacation days, paid sick time in accordance with City of Los Angeles policy, and most federal holidays and Jewish holidays (except as needed).
Non-discrimination: BSS is an equal opportunity employer committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender expression, gender non-conforming, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability, ancestry, medical condition, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship status.