Director of Youth and Education
Midway Jewish Center, a vibrant, multigenerational Conservative synagogue of about 600 families in Syosset, NY on Long Island, seeks an Educator to serve as our Director of Youth and Education. Must possess strong interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills to serve as director of the religious school and the Hebrew High School, and to collaborate with Rabbi Joel Levenson to lead our community in prayer, learning, lifecycle events, and pastoral care.
Midway creates a warm environment in which congregants know each other well. We have a robust volunteer culture and active lay leadership. Our proximity to the greater New York metropolitan area provides us with rich intellectual and cultural resources. It is important to the families in our congregation that our children graduate from religious school with a deep understanding of their Judaism and the motivation to continue learning into adulthood.
Congregation members are a diverse group that includes Jews by birth, Jews by choice, interfaith families, and a range of ethnicities and nationalities. Our members are engaged, involved, and eager to learn, and our strong, experienced staff work well together and are open to new ideas.
- Direct the religious school for our students in K-10
With about 200 students currently enrolled, our religious school is academically rigorous, with concentrations in both Hebrew and Judaica. Students often become madrichim in our religious school, assisting teachers and working with students in small groups. Our teachers are often congregants with deep investment in our community and in the future of the Jewish people. Our teachers’ commitment and diversity are one of our great strengths. Responsibilities include:
- recruiting, hiring, managing, and guiding all religious school staff;
- planning curriculum, calendar, schedules, field trips, and special events;
- coordinating parent-teacher meetings and communicating with parents;
- working with parents and teachers to find solutions for students with special needs;
- ensuring a safe learning environment;
- teaching special classes;
- coordinating and supporting the teen Madrichim;
- preparing the annual religious school budget and monitoring expenses;
- working closely with the Education Committee;
- coordinating professional development for faculty
- coordinate and participate in learning opportunities for parents or other family educational activities, including collaborating with Rabbi and B’nai Mitzvah Coordinator on family programs to prepare for B’nai Mitzvah
- coordinating our Tichon (Hebrew High School) for students in grades 8-10;
- supervise our Shinshin – the Israeli teen who is part of our community via the Israel Center
- supervising our youth advisors.
- Promote Jewish camps and Israel trips
- Serve as a member of the professional staff
Working in close collaboration with Rabbi Joel Levenson on all aspects of Jewish life at MJC and in accordance with the candidate’s interests, including but not limited to:
- Shabbat, High Holiday, and other services and events, specifically tot, junior congregation or teen services
- Collaborate with professional staff on synagogue-wide programming or educational initiatives
- pastoral functions as requested or as backup to Rabbi Levenson and Cantor Adam Frei
- Master’s Degree in Jewish Education or relevant field preferred;
- Previous Jewish education leadership strongly preferred
- Hebrew literacy strongly preferred
- Strong commitment to Jewish life and community
- Flexibility, relationship minded, collaborative attitude a must
- Ability to turn vision into reality
- Technology: high level of computer literacy required (we use Windows), experience with ShulCloud, knowledge of Zoom a plus.
Position Start Date: July 1, 2023
Salary Range: $75-85,000 base salary. Benefits may include: retirement plan, medical insurance, vacation time, parental leave, and sick days.
Send resumé and cover letter to:
Genea Moore, MJC Executive Director, ([email protected])
Stephanie Honig: (Co-Chair, Search Committee)
Saul Schessler: (Co-Chair, Search Committee)
About Midway Jewish Center (Syosset, NY)