The Payroll Supervisor is responsible for management of the payroll function within the Accounting Department; working with the Controller, the Payroll Supervisor’s principal areas of responsibility will initially cover payroll and benefits payments and all reconciliations needed to ensure that cash, A/R, and liability balances are appropriate as they relate to payroll.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Staff Supervision: Manage the Payroll Specialist position, overseeing the planning and follow through of goals, mentoring, development and training, and evaluation.
- Departmental Evaluation: Assists the Controller with creation of work plans for the payroll processes to establish clear expectations and timelines and adherence with effective internal controls.
- Organizational Engagement: Actively pursue an understanding of all JCC programs in order to be fully engaged in the vision and mission of the agency.
- Payroll Management: Review bi-weekly payroll to ensure accuracy of payroll net pay, earnings and deductions. Support the Accounting team by maintaining a current understanding of the payroll function, in order to back up those processes during periods of absence. Stay abreast of payroll requirements related to both domestic and international employees (J1 Visa). Ensure benefit payments are being paid accurately according to employee deductions and employer portion of benefits provided. Obtain a level of proficiency to provide software (UltiPro) support to all users. Approve payroll-related payments and review payroll tax returns.
- Audit and Tax: Prepare and analyze schedules required for annual audits and tax/information returns, ensuring compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations and taxing authorities.
- Account Reconciliations: Prepare reconciliations for assigned Balance Sheet accounts as well as reviewing reconciliations prepared by direct report on a timely basis.
- Journal Entries: Create, import, and post journal entries into the accounting system (Microsoft Dynamics Business Central), providing appropriate support for approval, and review journal entries prepared by direct report.
- Treasury Management: Approve EFT file upload to ensure prompt payment of payroll and benefit invoices/premiums due.
- Policies and Procedures: Create/update/review departmental policies/procedures related to your assigned areas of focus to maintain effective instructions for back-up/transition.
- Other: Manage the accounting departments record retention process and assist with other duties as assigned for month-end $ year-end close, as well as audit and information return preparation, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- CPA certification highly preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in Accounting, specifically in Payroll
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Ability to demonstrate and lead with JCC Chicago’s Four Core Values: Self-Leadership and Accountability, Creativity and Innovation, Teamwork and Collaboration, and Customer Service.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong foundation in accounting principles, payroll processes and related tax laws with a strong understanding of GAAP a must.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft products (Excel, Office, Word, PowerPoint) with advanced knowledge of Excel required, including v-lookup and pivot tables. The ability to learn other CRM/Accounting systems and online banking systems a must.
- Strong data manipulation skills with high degree of accuracy. Previous experience managing data as well as formatting and generating reports.
- Key strengths must include organization, attention to detail, strong initiative, and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
JCC Chicago has a vaccination policy in place, and all candidates who are hired must either be vaccinated, start the vaccination process within their first two weeks of employment, or request a medical or religious exemption with HR within their first two weeks of their employment.