Camp Ramah in Northern California (Ramah Galim) is looking for an innovative and inspiring leader to guide us as we grow our impact on Jewish children, teens, and young adults. Ramah Galim is celebrating our 7th year, and despite being one of the youngest Ramah camps, the influence of our program is already being felt in our region. As one of Northern California’s leading Jewish organizations, Ramah Galim, affiliated with the Conservative movement, serves hundreds of campers at our breathtaking, oceanfront campus on Monterey Bay. Now is a unique opportunity to join a thriving organization committed to a culture of collaboration and inclusion in one of America’s most vibrant Jewish communities.
Ramah Galim, fully accredited by the American Camp Association, works in partnership with Camp Ramah in California and the entire network of Ramah camps in North America. Ramah Galim operates under the educational guidance of the National Ramah Commission of The Jewish Theological Seminary and the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies.
Ramah Galim engages the members of our camp community in joyful, transformative experiences that serve as a model for lifelong Jewish learning and practice, commitment to Klal Yisrael, and Tikkun Olam. We do this by offering a unique camping experience that blends intensive specialty programming with cherished Ramah traditions.
A thriving Jewish camp community that inspires hearts, minds, and souls, and enriches Jewish life in Northern California and beyond.
Ramah Galim is seeking a creative, dynamic, and experienced Jewish professional with a passion for Jewish camping to be our next Director and to guide development of the overall educational vision for the Camp. Over a short seven years, Ramah Galim has grown from an idea to a reality, as our leadership guided the Camp into a successful, fiscally responsible organization, positively affecting hundreds of Jewish lives every year. Ramah Galim boasts an amazing campus located on the Pacific Ocean north of Monterey. Campers currently choose between specialty tracks, such as ocean exploration, adventure sports, and performing arts, to deepen their camp experiences. Drawing on Ramah Galim’s commitment to Conservative Judaism, campers might start their day with T’fillot Afloat (davening Shacharit on a boogie board) and celebrate the end of Shabbat with Havdalah on the Beach. Ramah Galim has fostered an important partnership with the Monterey Bay Academy, creating a unique location for Jewish children and teens to spend their summer.
The Director will successfully manage Ramah Galim‘s entire summer camp program (approximately 400 campers per summer and over 100 summer staff) including programmatic, educational, operational, and financial performance, as well as staff and camper recruitment and retention. The Director will be an inspiring leader, collaborative team player and relationship builder who brings extraordinary creativity, energy, and experience developing immersive educational programming for youth. The Director should also ensure Ramah Galim continues to innovate, in keeping with Ramah Galim’s mission to provide joyful, transformative experiences that serve as a model for lifelong Jewish learning and practice. Our Director will find a committed Board of Directors and founding donors, who look to continue to grow our impact on the Jewish camping world and beyond.
The Director is in residence at the Monterey Bay Academy campus for the entire summer season. Preference is for the Director to reside year-round in the northern California region. This role requires periodic travel throughout the west coast as a representative of Ramah Galim. As a member of the Ramah Director cohort, there will also be travel each year within the U.S. and to Israel.
The ideal candidate shall possess the following skills, attributes, training and experience:
- Rabbinic ordination, or advanced degree in Jewish education or a directly-related field.
- Demonstrated history of successful achievement in experiential Jewish education.
- Experience in Jewish camping.
- Creative thinker and innovator, with a strong history of leading educational/programmatic innovation.
- Strong leadership experience with proven exceptional people management; a true collaborator and team player.
- Experience in fundraising/development and grant writing.
- A relationship builder with outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to convey enthusiasm and energy and to inspire young people.
- Commitment to the Ramah approach to informal education. A passion for Torah and the Jewish community. Personally committed to the values and practices of Conservative Judaism. A love of Israel and fluency in Hebrew.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Oversees the successful management of Ramah Galim, including but not limited to:
- Hiring, training, supervising and developing year-round camp staff and summer staff.
- Recruiting and retaining campers.
- Planning and directing the operations of the summer camp program and ensuring the health and safety of campers and staff in accordance with American Camp Association Standards and Departments of Health.
- Implementing religious and education policies in coordination with the National Ramah Commission (NRC).
- Sets the overall educational and programmatic vision for all Ramah Galim programs and ensures high-quality and meaningful Judaic programming throughout all aspects of camp (for chanichim and tzevet).
- Builds deep relationships with community leaders, rabbis, educators and families throughout Ramah Galim’s region. Serves as the most senior voice of the Ramah Galim community, establishing and maintaining relationships with our current and founding donors and also Federations, national foundations, JCamp180, Grinspoon Life & Legacy, and other Jewish philanthropic organizations.
- Drives development efforts in coordination with Development Director and Board of Directors, including cultivating and stewarding donors and Life & Legacy members, building a robust annual campaign, and applying for and supporting grants to fund ongoing and new programming.
- Collaborates with the Business Manager and Board of Directors to develop and administer annual budget and operations.
- Works with the Board of Directors to implement the strategic plan for Ramah Galim, ensuring Ramah Galim is at the leading edge of providing exceptional camper experiences.
This is a full-time, year-round position. Start date is flexible, but is expected to be prior to the start of camp in June 2022. Competitive compensation package includes base salary, plus a full range of benefits.
Interested candidates should send cover letters and resumes to Deborah Gonzalez and Stephen Moff, co-chairs of the search committee, at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and should be submitted no later than February 1, 2022.