Position Title: Youth Director (part-time)
The Youth Director serves as a valued member of The Jewish Center community and a role model for our children. The Youth Director strives to develop long-lasting relationships with the children and their families by designing and implementing age-appropriate spiritual and social programs for children and teens that foster a love of Judaism and commitment to chesed and the community. The Youth Director works under the direction of and in concert with the Clergy and the Youth Committee Co-Chairs.
About the Jewish Center
The Jewish Center (JC) is a vibrant and dynamic synagogue and social center located in the heart of Manhattan's pulsating Upper West Side. A flagship for Modern Orthodoxy in New York City, The Jewish Center offers a full complement of classes, lecture series, social programming for all ages and stages of life, along with a full schedule of weekly and Shabbat services.
- Reach out to and engage current families
- Design programming that actively recruits new and prospective families
- Work with community youth leaders from other congregations to develop inter-shul social and spiritual activities
- Organize and implement Shabbat morning groups/Shabbat Junior Congregation and shabbat afternoon programming
- Organize/assist with Teen Minyan.
- Assist or coordinate events in general and specifically around chaggim.
- Create and implement chesed events/activities
- Actively recruit, supervise and train the group leaders of all Shabbat morning and afternoon programs
- Be present on Shabbat to ensure seamless programming
- Coordinate with parent volunteers to plan events
- Write a weekly email outlining programming for the week and upcoming events.
- Develop and maintain an annual, quarterly and monthly calendar of events.
- Attend regular staff meetings and Jewish Center Committee and Board meeting
- Experience working with children in an educational or recreational setting (Designing and implementing programs is preferred)
- Must be able to attend the Jewish Center on Shabbat/holidays (Rosh Hashanah and/or Yom Kippur, Simcha Torah, Shavuot, Purim, Chanukah) except for approved vacations (up to 3 Shabbatot from September-June and up to four additional Shabbatot over the summer)
- Willing to commit to 2 years in the position
Performance and Competency Expectations
- Detail-oriented and organized; able to plan and execute the Youth Department mission and programming
- Experience with recruiting, hiring and supervising others (group leaders etc.)
- Collaborates well with others
- Working knowledge of basic office and graphic design software.
Interested applicants should forward resume to [email protected]