Kol HaNeshama Chief Administrator Position: Description and Duties
The Chief Administrator (CA) holds responsibility for all day-to-day administrative tasks of Kol HaNeshama (KH), in Sarasota, FL. These tasks are to be executed by the CA or by individuals reporting directly to her/him.
The CA reports directly to the rabbi and will, as necessary, present financial and other reports to the Board of Directors.
Compensation will be $30.00 per hour, with an expected schedule between 10-15 hours per week. During High Holy Days and other special events, the weekly hourly commitment may be greater. It may be less during the summer months. The position is not eligible for health insurance or other benefits typical of a full-time position.
The responsibilities of the CA will include the following tasks. These may be amended by the rabbi and/or the Board of Directors.
- Overseeing all scheduling issues, including communicating updates to responsible KH and St. Wilfred staff.
- Overseeing day-to-day public relations tasks and community publicity.
- Supervising the KH administrative assistant, including checking that all weekly activities are completed, and monitoring hours worked. The CA will also review the draft newsletter for accuracy.
- Supervising the security guard(s) to ensure that are aware of the times and dates of all events and they fulfill their roles correctly.
- Supervising the musicians to ensure they are aware of the times and dates of all events and that they have all the necessary equipment to perform their duties. The rabbi, and not the CA, will have responsibility for all musical content (e.g., song selection).
- Supervising the bookkeeper in all weekly activities, and if necessary, in consultation with the Treasurer and other designated Board of Director members.
- Preparing for all religious services and related events. Preparation tasks include bringing and distributing challah and wine, setting up electronic equipment for zooming and/or streaming, setting up or overseeing set-up of chairs and other furniture, when necessary, coordinating with on-site shomers and welcomers, and coordinating with the security guards. The CA will be present at all services or special events. If the CA is not able to attend an event, she/he will ensure that someone reporting directly to the CA will take over these responsibilities.
- Identifying and developing additional regulations and policies to improve KH operations. These suggested procedures will be presented to the rabbi and/or Board of Directors, as necessary.
The successful candidate for the CA position should be able to demonstrate competence and experience in the following areas.
- Detailed-oriented. Much of the work will center on the successful execution of daily and weekly tasks that must be completed correctly and efficiently to ensure the strength and reputation of KH.
- The CA will be required to work with a variety of volunteers and professionals on a regular basis.
- Supervisory experience. The CA will supervise both volunteers and salaried professionals.
- Financial knowledge. The CA must be able to work with the KH bookkeeper and KH treasurer, interpreting financial data and adhering to tight deadlines.
- Jewish background. A successful candidate should be familiar with Jewish culture, history, and its liturgical and holiday traditions.
- Experience working in a synagogue setting. The CA must demonstrate an understanding of regular synagogue operations.
To apply for this position, please email an expression of interest (with resume) to Richard Belle, at [email protected]. Duties of this newly created position will begin in early September, before the High Holy Days.