Director Of KI Religious School
Congregation Kehillath Israel (“KI”) is seeking a Director of our Religious School (“KIRS”), to oversee all aspects of the program, under the leadership of KI’s Director of Family Engagement. This is a unique opportunity to partner with the Director of Family Engagement to assess the needs of the community, and think creatively and innovatively about the possibilities for the growth and the future of the Religious School in the synagogue.
This position is part time at 20 hours/week. The school, which is for grades K-7, meets on Monday afternoons from 3-5 pm, and on Thursday afternoons from 3-6:45 pm. The school also meets for monthly Shabbat Services on either Friday evenings or Saturday mornings. Hours outside of KIRS class hours are flexible, with expected involvement in Shabbat and holiday youth programming for the synagogue more broadly.
KIRS teaches a love of Jewish learning, and offers an engaging supplementary Jewish education to the children in our community.
About Kehillath Israel
Congregation Kehillath Israel (“KI”) is one of the country’s most storied and inclusive Conservative congregations, serving over 400 families from an exceptional multi-use campus in the heart of Brookline, Massachusetts. Starting in 2016, KI embarked on a massive, thoughtful and pioneering building renovation. The 384 Harvard Street campus is now home to 5 prayer communities, several social service and civic organizations, a modern senior living community, an innovation lab, a scalable social hall, as well as a socially progressive, accommodating early education center and religious school. KI’s innovative endeavor is so unique that it is a case study for Harvard Business School. KI’s newly constructed campus is redefining the community of faith in the 21st century.
KI’s vision for the future of its campus is to be more than a site for prayer, but also Boston’s Jewish hub for arts, culture, music, continued learning and community gathering.
KI Religious School (KIRS) Director Responsibilities
- Hire, evaluate, and supervise teachers and staff. This includes developing and implementing professional development opportunities and also planning and organizing staff meetings
- Evaluate and assess curricular goals and guiding teachers through these consistently
- Design and ensure delivery of educational programming consistent with the vision and goals of the KIRS program
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Family Engagement to build out overall vision and goals of the religious school, and with families and children to provide socio-emotional support and resources
- Manage the day-to-day administration of the school
- Develop and oversee the budget of the Religious School
- Be the warm face greeting parents and students every day of KIRS school and at all KIRS Shabbat services
- Support students and educators during the KIRS hours of operation, Monday and Thursday afternoons from 3-6:45 pm
- Update and maintain policies and procedures for KIRS
- Market and advertise KIRS, including outreach to families inside and outside of KI
- Plan and supervise monthly KIRS Shabbat and family grams and family events
- Provide resources, supplies, and materials for teachers, including but not limited to workbooks, basic classroom supplies, and snacks
- Order supplies for teachers
Ideal candidates are:
- Forward thinking
- Energetic, passionate, and flexible
- Warm, welcoming, and approachable
- Cooperative and open minded, with the ability to work well both collaboratively and independently
- Creative and willing to experiment with new programs and ideas
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Knowledgeable and experienced in Jewish practice and tradition
Ideal candidates have:
- Experience managing and supporting teachers, and guiding them through curriculum
- The ability to foster warm and positive relationships with children and parents
- The organizational skills required to efficiently balance multiple projects simultaneously
- A background in, knowledge of, and experience with Judaism, Jewish leadership, and education
- Strong communication skills
- A bachelor's degree or higher
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Lisa Redisch, Director of Family Engagement, at [email protected]