Director of Fellowship Year (North America)
Posted November 2022
Are you an expert facilitator and Jewish community builder? Do you know how to help young people listen to and share openly with one another even across differences in background, viewpoint, and experience? Are you an intuitive manager, weaving together people’s talents and clearly communicating roles to achieve maximal collaboration? Do you appreciate the importance of the details to the success of an immersive program – how a room is set-up, the extra walking-time it takes to get to the bus, how to keep an eye on costs? Do intellectual exploration and Jewish learning serve as sources of inspiration, creativity and discovery in your life?
The Bronfman Fellowship is an international pluralistic Jewish community of over 1400 alumni changemakers from Israel and North America. We are seeking an inspiring and experienced program manager, educator, and facilitator to plan and lead our flagship North American Fellowship Year for intellectually curious teens. Reporting to the Deputy CEO, the Director of the Fellowship Year is involved in all facets of our teen program – from recruitment and selection of Fellows and educators, to planning and leading the Fellowship Year featuring three in-person immersive seminars including a five week summer program in the US and Israel, joint programming with our Israeli fellows, and year-round virtual and in-person mentorship and engagement. The Director will work very closely with our American and Israeli team members, including guiding our rotating team of esteemed North American Faculty.
The Fellowship selects promising Jewish teens with diverse backgrounds and identities who demonstrate the ability to be cultural creators, deep thinkers, moral voices and community builders. Fellows are encouraged to take pride in the expression of their unique Jewish identities and stories, while recognizing and valuing the distinctiveness of others. Since its founding, the Fellowship has developed into a powerful methodology to mitigate increasing levels of polarization within the Jewish community and the world. The profound educational journey that the Fellows experience is unlike any other program for Jewish teenagers.
The Director position is full-time and preference will be given to candidates who are currently or are willing to be based in New York City. The position involves some evening and weekend work, travel, and the staffing of immersive programming in North America and Israel.
- Execute and oversee all aspects of Fellowship Year programming.
- Ensure all logistical necessities are arranged to support the flow of programming, including schedules, budgets, communications, and other on-the-ground practical matters.
- Use evidence-based data and research methods to evaluate and strengthen the program.
- Support recruitment and selection of new Fellows through active outreach, application reading, conducting interviews, and more.
- Craft and lead seminars in-line with our educational vision and the needs of our learners
- Lead a diverse group of senior North American educators, and collaborate with a parallel educational team in Israel. Inspire pluralistic camaraderie among them, and serve as a chavruta partner for faculty members in crafting educational content.
- Ensure high quality sessions, speakers and visits for Fellowship year experience.
- Create an environment focused on mentorship and content that supports social-emotional growth for teens.
- Facilitate processing sessions to enhance group dynamics and proactively build healthy relationships with Fellows.
- Ensure adherence to mental & physical health and safety procedures and policies.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to Fellows and recent alumni.
Qualities and Qualifications: Competitive candidates will be or have most/all of the following:
- Minimum of 5 years working in an educational role, specifically with experience in overnight, multi-day immersive settings.
- Strong organizational skills and experience maintaining a program budget and overseeing a logistically complex educational program.
- Professional working proficiency in Hebrew or better. (ILR Level 3)
- A clear and strong communicator with excellent group facilitation skills.
- A deep appreciation of Jewish pluralism and a track-record of cultivating an atmosphere of inclusion and respect across difference.
- Ability to navigate and engage with Jewish textual sources including Tanach, Talmud, historical and philosophical works, and more.
- Comfortable serving as a Jewish role-model and sharing one’s Jewish journey.
- A generally collaborative approach to work, and specifically a deep interest in working closely with Israeli counterparts, and engaging with questions around the relationship between American Jews and Israeli Jews.
- Exhibit both confidence and humility as an educator and manager.
Travel: This position requires significant travel and presence at multiple overnight programs during the year, including but not limited to: 5 weeks in the US and Israel over the summer and several multi-day seminars and retreats throughout the year. Additionally, occasional availability for virtual meetings and communications across international time zones outside of normal business hours and on weekends.
Details: This full-time position offers generous benefits including retirement contributions, health and dental, vacation and holidays, allowance for and encouragement of professional development. and a flexible, and supportive work environment. The Director will work from our NYC office and may also work remotely some of the time. Candidate must be available to start work on or before February 15, 2023.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $86,000 - $106,000 based on the candidate’s job-specific experience and skills, education, and readiness.
All applicants are encouraged to apply including those with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Interested Applicants: In lieu of a cover letter, please complete this online form and upload a PDF resume by November 28, 2022. Questions about the position can be directed to [email protected]