Shoresh Preschool uses a play-based approach to learning that focuses on age-appropriate educational benchmarks. Our children are encouraged to be independent thinkers and learners through play and experience. The development of social and emotional skills are at the forefront of our school as our teachers work hard to create an atmosphere of discovery, exploration and appropriate risk-taking. Academics are woven into our students’ learning through hands-on activities and thematic units of discovery. This includes opportunities to discover in nature, emote through song, create through STEM, and challenge their bodies through movement and yoga.
Shoresh is a unique and diverse community, welcoming children of all religions, races, and family styles. Our student body comes from Bloomfield, Glen Ridge, Montclair and other surrounding communities. Our children thrive in a nurturing, safe environment through differentiated learning and small class sizes with low teacher: student ratio. Our highly qualified and experienced teachers and assistants love what they do and understand the developmental needs of each individual child.
JOB TITLE: Director of Shoresh Preschool
REPORTS: Executive Director of Temple Ner Tamid
Temple Ner Tamid is seeking a dynamic, talented, smart, empathetic educator for a year-round position as Director of the Shoresh Preschool, housed at Temple Ner Tamid. Shoresh is designed to offer families a play-based program for 2 to 5-year-olds. Curriculum is focused on specific educational objectives to help each child develop social, emotional and academic skills through positive interactions with other students, teachers and administrative staff. There are over 100 students and 24+ staff members in the school. The Director will be responsible for supervision of the 5 day/week full-day Preschool and 10 weeks-long summer day camp. This position is supported by a full time Assistant Director.
- Administer all aspects of the Preschool program, including supervision of the before/aftercare program and Shoresh’s 10-week summer camp program. This encompasses, but is not limited to, hiring all staff, managing enrollment and observing and overseeing the day-to-day activities of Shoresh.
- Create a nurturing environment where children feel safe and loved coming to Shoresh. This will include building strong relationships with teachers, staff and parents. An ideal candidate will be active in student development and care by being aware of the specific needs of students, keeping an open door and an open and welcoming approach.
- Working with the Executive Director, create an annual budget for the school to be voted on and approved by the Board of Directors.
- Handle general finances.
- Ensure that all procedures and policies, including those set by the Board and any relevant outside agency, are followed.
- Working with the Temple clergy and staff team as well as parent volunteers, plan special school activities including Shabbat and holiday celebrations and events, back to school night, graduation, fundraisers, and other events.
- Build, establish and maintain positive relationships in the community that support diverse student population and the vision of the Preschool and the Temple.
- Supervise the daily activities of Preschool, before/aftercare staff, and camp staff.
- Train and observe teachers and staff.
- Perform annual performance reviews.
- Seek out prospective teachers and camp staff, conduct interviews and select employees as needed based on the parameters of the school budget.
- Masters in Early Childhood Education or closely related field.
- Hold a current supervisor qualification from the State of New Jersey
- Current CPR/AED and First Aid certification for children and adults (or be willing to obtain within the first 30 days of employment by Shoresh).
- At least 2 years experience as a Preschool Assistant Director or Director.
- Strong and measurable organizational, planning and implementation skills.
- Experience or knowledge of standard Preschool curriculum, ideally with integrating Jewish education.
- Knowledge and experience with teacher evaluation and observation methods.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook.
- Demonstrated effective work with families, staff and volunteers.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Maintain a positive and open attitude.
- Availability to meet attendance standards and work the hours, weeks and months necessary to perform the job.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, policy and procedures, staff agreements, evaluation requirements, curriculum/materials, and student assessment documents.
- Ability to speak before groups of students, parents, staff, Board of Directors and administration.
- This is a dynamic Preschool. Flexibility and change of schedules may occur without prior notice so an ideal candidate will also be flexible to scheduling as needed.
- Schedule may also include occasional weekend or after-school hours as it may relate to holidays, special events and other similar programming.
- This position is supported by a full-time Assistant Director.
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject “Shoresh Preschool Director – YOUR NAME.”