Program Director (Part-time)
Hillel at Gallaudet University
Dynamic? An independent thinker? Enthusiastic? Passionate about Judaism? Want to make a difference in the lives of students at Gallaudet University? We want you to be our Program Director!
Hillel at Gallaudet University seeks a Program Director who is outgoing, supports various expressions of Judaism, engages students in bringing Jewish programming to campus, works with the Board of Directors in realizing the vision for Hillel at Gallaudet University, and develops relationships for years to ensure each Jewish student leaves Gallaudet University with positive experiences. As we expand our program scope, this is an opportunity to engage an increased number of students in Jewish Life at Gallaudet. This is also a unique opportunity to significantly impact the national Jewish Deaf community as well as create allies for that community.
What You’ll Do
- Meet with students one-on-one from different cohorts and demographics on campus to engage and identify their interests, as well as connect to leadership opportunities.
- Facilitate connections among students with similar interests in order to build communities based on personal relationships.
- Promote, recruit, and staff for Taglit-Birthright Israel.
- Encourage and guide students through the program planning process.
- Manage purchasing and inventory of program supplies and Hillel merchandise.
- Organize and implement Jewish educational programs and holiday celebrations.
- Maintain records of events and attendance for measurement and ongoing evaluation.
- Host holiday events, regular Jewish themed meals, and other ongoing programs.
- Participate in activities/meetings hosted by the Office of Campus Ministries (OCM).
- Regularly communicate (or report) activities with/to the Board of Directors of Hillel at Gallaudet University, donors, andthe Hillel at Gallaudet University community.
- May recruit and supervise Gallaudet student interns and volunteers.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Bachelor’s degree (required)
- Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL)
- 1-3 years professional work experience (preferred)
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit. Things may not always go according to plan and you must be willing to take risks and learn your wins as well as your losses.
- Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfort asking questions.
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
- Belief that our work isn’t done until every Jewish student is connected to Jewish life.
- Creative problem-solving.
- Excitement to continue developing your own relationship to Judaism.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of cultural values of the Deaf community
- Experience with fiscal oversight and nonprofit fundraising is a plus
- Live within the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area
What You’ll Receive
- Generous salary
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel
- Your own office and space provided on our beautiful Gallaudet campus
- Access to a wealth of resources from Hillel International and Hillel at Gallaudet Board
About Hillel at Gallaudet University
Hillel at Gallaudet University is home to approximately fifty (50) Jewish students with strong involvement from Jewish Gallaudet University staff and faculty, in addition to the Jewish community of the Washington, D.C. area. Past programmes include Shabbat dinners, Passover Seders, support for ASL High Holiday Services, mitzvah projects, Jewish cooking lessons, and special presenters. Gallaudet University is the only liberal arts university for the Deaf and hard of hearing. Gallaudet Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel at Gallaudet University is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.