Position: Director of Life-Long Learning
Kol Shofar is a multigenerational congregation that strives to be a vibrant hub of Jewish life in Marin County, California. As the only Conservative congregation in Marin since its founding 60 years ago, we seek to honor our tradition and history, yet operate as an evolving and inclusive space, unafraid to embrace change. We are in search of a dynamic educational leader who will supervise and grow the educational programming for our entire community from tots to adults. We seek a professional who will not only be a model of Jewish life and values to our members, but will also inject energy and joyful ruach into lifelong learning. The Director will play a key role in engaging our young families, building upon our spirited and thriving youth programs from preschool through high school, as well as devising offerings for our continuing learners of all ages. The Director of Life-Long Learning will report to the Senior Rabbi.
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with Clergy, Executive Director, Preschool Director, Assistant Education Director/Youth Engagement Coordinator, lay leaders and staff to advance the vision and mission for education at Kol Shofar.
- Direct formal youth educational program: Beit Binah (K-6) And Tichon (7-12).
- Oversee engagement with, and develop programs for families.
- Engage collaboratively in recruitment and retention of families.
- Implement and evaluate curriculum for formal education programs, ensuring a standard of excellence.
- Supervise formal educational program staffing, including recruiting and hiring faculty.
- Work with Clergy to integrate B’nei Mitzvah into the greater fabric of the community.
- Oversee and coordinate adult learning and engagement opportunities.
- Direct onsite and off-site holiday programs for youth and families.
- Work directly with the Family Engagement Committee, as well as other relevant groups and committees.
- Serve as a model of Jewish life and values for the community.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in educational settings
- Undergraduate degree
- Knowledge of, and ability to teach principles of Conservative Judaism
- Knowledge of and proficiency in Jewish Studies, Jewish prayer, and Hebrew language
- Demonstrated experience working with and inspiring youth
- Ability to provide direction, supervise, and evaluate teaching staff and Youth Engagement Coordinator
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Adaptability and stress management
- Ability to work collaboratively with clergy, staff, parents and congregants
- Excellent communication, organization and time management skills
- Ability to create and manage budgets
- Ability and willingness to write grants
- Familiarity with the latest technology and apps used by today’s youth
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically, as well as multi-task
Desired but Not Required Qualifications
- Ordained clergy
- Master’s degree in Education
- Certificate/degree in Jewish Education
- Experience as a religious school director
- Musical proficiency in vocals and/or guitar
- Experience in staff development and engagement
- Jewish camping background
To Apply: Email Cover Letter and Resume to Rabbi Paul Steinberg [email protected]. No phone calls please.
Reports To: Senior Rabbi
Compensation: $110,000 - $125,000K (Full-Time) Depending on Experience
Benefits: Medical, dental + vision plans; paid holidays, vacation + sick leave, professional development.
Congregation Kol Shofar is an equal opportunity employer.