The Jewish Foundation of Greater New Haven, Inc., seeks Director of Communications and Marketing!
The Jewish Foundation of Greater New Haven, Inc. (the “Jewish Foundation”), www.jewishfoundation.org is a $73 million permanent charitable endowment for the Greater New Haven Jewish community, serving towns from Milford to the New London border and including the Connecticut Valley towns. We grow resources to help build the future through endowment and legacy gifts that provide critical annual support to our local Jewish organizations. We partner with donors, professional advisors, and organizations to develop values-driven philanthropy and provide expert charitable investment management services, financial counsel, and education to strengthen our community and secure its future. The Jewish Foundation is a grant maker (distributing an average of $3.5 million per year, over 80% of which is to our local Jewish organizations and synagogues), philanthropic advisor, and an expert resource and partner in endowment management, legacy, and planned giving.
The Jewish Foundation is a supporting organization of the Jewish Federation of Greater New Haven and is located in the JCC building in Woodbridge, Connecticut.
The Jewish Foundation seeks an experienced communications and marketing professional to serve in the new senior-level role of Director of Communications and Marketing. The director will be a key contributor to our next stage of growth and impact, providing strategic vision, leadership, and oversight for Jewish Foundation marketing and communications. This is a leadership position reporting to the Executive Director and collaborating closely with all members of the Jewish Foundation staff. We seek a candidate who shares our passion for partnering with our agencies and synagogues to build endowment and legacy giving in our community and brings proven talent, a collaborative work style, an aptitude for innovation, and the ability to deploy compelling storytelling across a range of platforms to advance the Jewish Foundation’s goals. The Director of Communications and Marketing will be responsible for leading strategic communications and marketing for the Foundation, including managing external contractors and coordinating with the marketing staff of the Jewish Federation and JCC.
This position focuses on achieving three primary outcomes over time:
- Elevated awareness and brand clarity. Raising the Jewish Foundation’s visibility and leadership profile across the region, especially with key audiences, and clarifying the Foundation’s role as a supporting organization of the Jewish Federation.
- Expanded relationships. Expanding the Jewish Foundation’s relationships with donors and prospective donors, professional advisors, our local Jewish agencies and synagogues, local secular organizations, civic leaders, and media, growing these relationships in both number and depth.
- Enhanced capacity.Enhancing the Jewish Foundation’s communications systems, skills, and strategies, thus enabling cost-effective outreach and campaigns that consistently produce desired results.
Reaching these desired outcomes calls for proficiency in multiple, interconnected areas:
- Strategic advisor to Foundation leadership. Advise the Executive Director and senior leadership on how to effectively use communication strategies to advance the Jewish Foundation’s leadership, programmatic, donor services, and advancement goals.
- Brand development and voice. Build visibility and credibility for the Jewish Foundation brand, including evolving our reputation as a sophisticated and trusted expert and partner. Includes ongoing attention to lead messages and visual style, as well as ensuring that staff, Board, and lay leaders are equipped to serve as brand ambassadors. Also requires monitoring awareness and perceptions of the Jewish Foundation among key audiences.
- Communications and marketing strategy development.Create and implement the Jewish Foundation’s marketing and communications strategies, identifying messages, tactics, and measures of success through collaboration with colleagues responsible for Foundation leadership, donor cultivation, program operations, research and evaluation, and financial management.
- Data analytics. Gather data and measure progress on communications and marketing goals for periodic reports to the Board, the Executive Director, and applicable lay committees, including development of measurement plans and action steps to determine improved approaches.
- Content development. Lead the development of the Jewish Foundation’s narrative, generating stories of impact and multimedia content that supports ongoing engagement.
- Digital strategy and platform development. Increase audience engagement through an updated Jewish Foundation website, social media strategy, and digital marketing.
- Develop and promote high quality communications products that inform and invite the involvement of Jewish Foundation audiences. These materials are produced in digital and/or print form and include our annual report, newsletters, a suite of donor collateral, agency and synagogue collateral, and special research and evaluation reports.
- Collaborate with staff to design and conduct periodic in-person programs, webinars, donor gatherings, and other events hosted by the Jewish Foundation to raise visibility and connect with key audiences.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree, with a concentration and/or advanced degree in communications, marketing, or a related field preferred. Equivalent experience will be considered in lieu of this preferred degree.
- Five to seven years of relevant work experience in a nonprofit, public, or for-profit enterprise
- Demonstrated leadership of significant marketing and communications initiatives that achieved measurable results
- Experience cultivating and managing client relationships
- Experience managing internal and external teams, improving marketing operations, and overseeing budgets
- Knowledge and ability to lead marketing and communications across all dimensions and platforms described—including brand strategy, digital, print, and paid and earned media
- Advanced professional communications skills, including writing and editing, content generation, and presentation abilities, as well as a keen visual sense for graphic design and photography
- Professional experience managing social media for an organization
- Expertise in digital marketing and advertising, especially in executing email marketing campaigns and managing a Google Ad Grants program
- Strong project and budget management skills; able to meet multiple priorities and deadlines
- Effective supervision skills, particularly experience managing external vendors and freelancers
- Capability with the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Experience with CMS and analytics platforms and Adobe Creative Suite preferred
COMPENSATION, LOCATION, AND BENEFITS
As this is a director-level position of strategic importance for the Foundation, it is envisioned as a full-time role with a salary range of $75,000 to $85,000, depending upon experience. However, for the right candidate, the Foundation would consider a part-time role of 4 days per week. Whether full- or part-time, the role is salaried and offers the option of a hybrid work environment, as well as benefits.
The Jewish Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer and offers competitive benefits including: a 403(b) retirement plan; generous paid vacation and sick time; and health, dental, and life insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume, as well as two writing samples to:
Lisa Stanger, Executive Director Jewish Foundation [email protected]
and Angela Paik [email protected]
Links to digital portfolios and/or case studies are welcomed, but optional.