University of Florida Hillel
Transform student life for one of the largest campus Jewish communities in the country by joining University of Florida Hillel’s professional staff as an Engagement Associate. The opportunities for Jewish life at the University of Florida are limitless and you will play a central role propelling UF Hillel forward. We are looking for a team player with a passion for relationship building, commitment to Jewish life, and superb organizational and communication skills.
To be successful in this position you must be team-oriented, entrepreneurial, and motivated by results. We’re looking for people who embrace challenges, take risks, fail, and learn from the past, while maintaining their passion and sense of humor. Extensive Jewish education is not necessary — just an interest in creating a vibrant Jewish community, a commitment to learning, and the desire to make a difference in the lives of students.
What You’ll Do
- Advance student programming by identifying potential student leaders
- Coach and advise student leaders to help them grow Jewishly, develop high-impact initiatives for their peers, and acquire new leadership and community organizing skills
- Build relationships with students by engaging them in meaningful conversations and connecting them to Jewish life on campus; you’ll learn about their interests, what drives them, and connect them to relevant opportunities
- Utilize data to ensure a strategic approach to building Jewish life and community on campus
- Oversee strategic initiatives to engage students within specific demographics, such as freshman or students in Greek life
- Lead students in conversational seminars that deepen their understanding of Judaism in their own lives
- Collaborate with a staff team to problem solve and support team initiatives
- Participate in weekly supervision meetings, as well as weekly staff meetings, and frequent team check-ins and strategy sessions
On a day to day basis you will
- Meet for coffee with student leaders to brainstorm creative ways to engage new students
- Meet with colleagues to discuss Birthright Israel recruitment and follow-up
- Have lunch with a student interested in getting involved in Jewish life on campus, identifying their interests and then following up with a connection to a student leader or next event
- Facilitate a program planning meeting with a group of student leaders
- Dedicate time to note your interactions in the database and send follow-up or check-in emails to students
- Support a student event in the evening where you meet two new students and invite them to have coffee next week
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- 0-2 years of professional work experience and a bachelor’s degree; a recent college graduate
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Strong Jewish knowledge base and a willingness to work with students from a variety of backgrounds
- Experience collaborating in a team environment with a larger goal in mind
- Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfortable asking questions
- Excitement to continue developing your own relationship to Judaism
What You’ll Receive
- A competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace; the salary for this role is $44,000 in year one, and $46,500 in year two.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- High-level professional development, including professional development funds, to help develop core skills in experiential education
- A network of terrific colleagues from across the Hillel movement
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel
About University of Florida Hillel
With one of the largest Jewish student populations in the country, the opportunities for Jewish life at UF are nearly limitless and UF Hillel strives to operate on a scale capable of meeting this challenge. Hillel provides Jewish students with community and connection through a relationship-focused approach that seeks to ensure every Jewish Gator is inspired to find their own voice and relationship with Judaism.
The University of Florida is a big place with big dreams, a sense of community that spans the globe and unites generations. At UF, our common bond has always been more than a rallying cry. It is born of a steadfast commitment to excellence, and the Jewish Gator Nation will be looking to you to develop strategies that inspire every Jewish student at the University of Florida to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life.
Gainesville is a great place to live with all the offerings of a vibrant college town, including an excellent arts scene, first class medical care and academic health system, SEC sports, and inspired local restaurants. Here culture meets nature with eight state parks, featuring more than 100 miles of trails for biking and hiking, plus crystal-blue freshwater springs. The wide range of offerings, extremely high quality of life, and relatively low cost of living has made Gainesville an increasingly popular destination to live for people of all ages.
University of Florida Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.