Temple Beth El of Boca Raton is the largest and most vibrant congregation in our area. Throughout our history we have sought to create a spirit of warmth, intimacy and vitality in all that we are and do, maintaining a culture of upstanding work ethic and dedicated staff members. We strive to build a sense of community and improve the world around us. We are growing and are excited to add team members like you to join our team.
We are currently searching for a highly motivated, detail-oriented, and experienced Assistant Director to join our dynamic Religious School team. The Assistant Director reports to the Director of Youth and Family Education & Engagement and is responsible for the Religious school schedule and curriculum, B’nai Mitzvah programs, madrachim training, Holiday projects and other duties as may be required to ensure the smooth operation of the school. The position includes supervisory responsibilities. The Assistant Director must work cooperatively as a positive member of the Temple Beth El team with clergy, other professionals, support staff and congregants.
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES, which includes but is not limited to:
- Religious School-Kindergarten through Grade 12:
- Plan weekly schedules for Hebrew Through Movement, T’fillah, clergy visits or any other special programs that may happen at Religious School.
- Assist in planning annual schedule for Religious School dates, holidays, and school wide events.
- Observe classes and teachers whenever school is in session. Be available to help with classroom management issues and provide feedback after observing teachers in session.
- Assist with hiring and supervising Religious School faculty which includes but is not limited to, tracking absences, trainings and hiring documents and hiring substitutes.
- Assist with student discipline.
- Review or provide lesson plans for classes for adherence to curricular goals and objectives.
- Supervise Bar/Bat Mitzvah training program. Assist in assigning tutors to students, decoding classes, helping families with preparation, being the liaison between tutors and clergy, assist with any issues that may arrive in partnership with the Director of Youth and Family Education.
- Assist in coordination of training, placement, and supervision of teaching assistants.
- Supervise 8th grade Madrichim training class on Sunday mornings, this may include teaching.
- Oversee and proofread all parent communications, classroom recaps and assist with Chronicle submissions.
- Monitor student attendance on a weekly basis, including but not limited to phone calls, conferences with families, etc.
- Provide tours and information to prospective families
- Coordinate holiday related school-wide programming as necessary.
- Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise carpool lane for drop off and pick-up.
- Responsible to be up to date on all emergency procedures on site to be able to facilitate any drills or issues that may occur.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Religious School budget.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Religious School Curriculum.
- Partner with Director of Youth Education and Engagement in creating new programing for school and families.
- On-site, whenever school is in session.
- Contribute to the logistics for Family Services, inclusive of High Holidays and Festival celebrations.
- Oversee implementation Children’s High Holy Day Programming including programming and staffing.
- Provide input to the Director of Youth Education and Engagement on any matters relating to the Religious School, administrative and programmatic, and Youth Activities.
- Ensure Tribal Gatherings are planned, marketed and staffed.
- Completes other tasks job-related duties as may be necessary for the successful operation of the youth groups as noted by the Director of Youth Education and Engagement.
- Attitude demonstrates a positive approach and commitment reflecting professionalism and ethical standards.
Communication Proficiency - Self-Motivation - High Attention to Detail - Strong Organizational Skills - Initiative - High Energy Level - Stress Management/Composure - Critical Thinking - Time Management – Knowledge of Torah and Haftarah reading and trope.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS
MS Office experience, proficient in computer skills, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, ability to take direction from supervisor.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required and a Master’s degree desired from an accredited institution or any equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Experience working in a religious school or educational institution desired.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with customers or employees of organization. Ability to read Hebrew desired.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
This position has direct supervisory responsibilities.
Some travel may be required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires sitting for long period of time (during planning and reporting) and standing for long periods of time (during observations and training), as well as stooping, squatting, and running.
Salary Range: $72,000-$82,000
Medical, Dental, Vision, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance (in the 2023 year, 100% of Medical and Dental is covered by the employer at the HMO level)
403(b) Retirement Fund
Employee Discounts including complimentary Temple Membership and Religious School for you and your family
18 days of PTO
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, the organization reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.