Summary: The Assistant Religious School Director will help lead our nearly 900 student supplementary school program at the largest Reform synagogue in the country. Supervised by the Director of Education and Lifelong Learning the Assistant Director will be a direct liaison to parents, students, and teachers.
Key responsibilities in your portfolio include, but are not limited to:
- Integrate new faculty into the school, serving as their mentor and collaborator
- Manage and track the communication between faculty and home
- Model creative teaching techniques in the classroom and guide teachers in using them
- Support Hebrew teachers
- In partnership with the Director of Education, supervise and support school faculty in the execution of job responsibilities
- Guide faculty in creating and implementing cutting-edge pedagogy
- Welcome new families into the school community
- Support families in their ongoing involvement in congregational life
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with families and respond to their concerns
- Greet students upon arrival and monitor student dismissal
Follow up on student absence, day switches, and scheduling changes
Track and respond to life-cycle events, learning, health, and other individual needs
- Develop and run Sunday morning family programs—Birkat Yeladim, Siyyum, holiday experiences and/or any others created in the future
- Create and manage family programming
- Oversee Religious School family camp
School and Program Management (in partnership with Director of Education)
- Coordinate internal scheduling for teachers for weekly special programs
- Direct the daily schedule and logistics of the religious school
- Handle first-level discipline issues and respond to initial parent questions/concerns
- Assist in developing age-appropriate curriculum for PK-6; help train, mentor and guide teachers in curriculum
- Oversee the madrichim and madrichim-in-training programs
- Order textbooks
- Oversee payroll
- Work with teachers on the continuous development of Judaica curriculum and lesson plans
- Assist in developing the 2nd hour, whole school curriculum
Additional portfolio items may include projects the Assistant Director initiates and has an interest in pursuing
Skill and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years of relevant experience
- Background in education
- Jewishly knowledgeable.
- A strategic planner and strong organizational skills.
- Passionate about building a vibrant Jewish community.
- Energetic, outgoing, and flexible – with a strong work ethic and self-motivation.
- Able to demonstrate strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ready to work independently AND as part of a highly collaborative team.