Opening: Religious School “Inclusion Coordinator” 2021-2022
Jewish Reconstructionist Congregation (JRC)
Who Is JRC:
The Jewish Reconstructionist Congregation (JRC), located in Evanston, Illinois, is a diverse, participatory, and sacred community dedicated to a daring, deeply rooted Judaism.
We are known for our progressive approach to creating Jewish community. Our congregation is imbued with joyful spirituality and intellectual curiosity. We are deeply committed to inclusivity and social justice. Our congregation is as diverse as the American Jewish community, including many interfaith families, people of color, LGBTQ+ members, and a wide variety of Jewish practice. In 2008 we built the first LEED-Certified house of worship in North America.
We are seeking an energetic and skilled inclusion coordinator and education professional to be a part of our vibrant Religious School (RS) team starting January 2022. Do you have a passion for creating more inclusive and accepting environments? Are you a strong advocate for people with diverse learning needs? Is your ideal work environment one of collaboration, enjoyment, and a strong sense of community?
If this describes you, we would love to learn more about your approach to supporting and including diverse learners. Our program for Pre-K -12th grade centers authentic Jewish experiences where learners “do Jewish” rather than talk about being Jewish. Learners will gain confidence to engage with Jewish texts, traditions, and prayers that speak to their lives as they are right now through a Reconstructionist approach. They understand how Judaism supports them in healing the world and being their whole selves. We offer small group Hebrew classes, interactive elective programming with activities like art, sports, creative writing and more in our innovative program.
This position requires work on Sundays from 9:30am - 12:15pm, Tuesdays from 4-6:15pm, and 30 additional hours between January and May for other staff development and prep.
- Training in Special Education
- Experience reading/interpreting/implementing IEPs and 504 plans
- Experience with differentiated learning
- Experience making accommodations to address different learning styles
- Experience communicating and working with students, teachers, and families
Recommending and Implementing Systems:
- Work in consultation with the Assistant Rabbi for Education to recommend and implement systems for making religious school more inclusive and accessible to all brains and bodies
- Work in consultation with Assistant Rabbi for Education and relevant committees to review curricula, with an eye towards differentiation and inclusion
Providing Consultation & Coaching to Teachers:
- Work with teachers to ensure they have the tools they need to support students with diverse learning needs in their classrooms
- Brainstorm lessons and strategies to enable teachers to run successful, inclusive lessons
- Listen to teachers, problem solving and supporting them before and after challenging lessons or situations
- Rotate through our classrooms to support teachers in creating inclusive learning environments
Supporting Individual Students
- Work with individual students to implement strategies to help them succeed in Religious School
- Develop social-emotional learning conversations and activities for learners in need of support
- Provide in-classroom support for students as needed and/or help students with differentiated work in our resource room
- Communicate directly with parents as needed
- Review IEP and 504 plans via phone calls with parents at the start of the year. Translate outcomes from parent phone calls into accessible, useful strategies for teachers.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates reflective of the communities JRC serves, including people in interfaith relationships, individuals with varied identities and backgrounds, including Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews, Jews of color, and LGBTQ+ people.
Beginning on Feb. 1st, 2022 and running through May 15th, position salary totals $3690. Could be more or less depending on start date.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Rabbi David Eber, Assistant Rabbi for Education at JRC: [email protected]
If you have further questions, please contact Rabbi David, either at the email address above, or by calling (847) 328 -7678 x. 2234
Position open until filled.