Hillel of Metro Detroit
Hillel of Metro Detroit (HMD), a vibrant and innovative Jewish campus organization, seeks an individual who thrives on creating meaningful connections and conversations to be our new Program Associate.
Who We Are
Hillel of Metro Detroit aspires to be a meaningful, relevant, and dynamic organization that engages hundreds of local Jewish college-aged students throughout the Detroit metropolitan area. HMD enriches Jewish identity, furthers Jewish journeys, and inspires involvement in the community.
HMD provides students at six local colleges and universities dynamic opportunities to explore Judaism, develop leadership skills, and build enduring connections to Jewish life, to each other and to the Jewish community. HMD makes a difference for today and tomorrow. We focus on creating a welcoming community with Judaism- infused programming that will help students form positive Jewish memories, build strong Jewish identities, and acquire the skills to become leaders in their local Jewish communities.
Program Associate at HMD is a full-time position, responsible for student engagement and program development at multiple HMD commuter campuses and for 18–29-year-old Jewish young adults in the Detroit metropolitan area. Each Program Associate provides ongoing support to student groups and to interest groups throughout the community, coordinates student leadership development, marketing, and community relations.
This individual will report to the Associate Director and will work with the program team to establish specific goals and evaluate progress.
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor’s degree.
- You know how to follow through with multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are familiar with web-based applications.
- You are comfortable embracing your own Judaism (or you are actively figuring that out).
- You have strong oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills, with a particular talent for active listening.
- You have the ability to work flexible hours needed to complete job requirements, including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
- You can think big and creatively and help inspire students to do the same. Nothing is too big to tackle.
- You are a relationship builder. You are constantly meeting new people, interested in learning about them and their passions.
- You are passionate and excited about college students and helping them along their Jewish journeys.
- You understand why students are or are not interested in being involved with Jewish life on campus.
- You can reimagine things. Just because that is how it was done before is not good enough for you, you strive to find new, innovative, exciting ways to improve things.
- You are a problem solver. If something does not work, you are seeking different avenues to make it happen. You say, “There was a challenge, this is how we can fix it.”
- You are able to be creative in designing flyers and utilizing social media to promote events.
What You’ll Do
- Act as a resource to HMD students as they explore what being Jewish means to them.
- Be the primary advisor to student groups at a variety of HMD schools.
- Engage student leaders and help them to further develop their leadership skills.
- Entice uninvolved Jewish students to get involved, attend programing, or find a path to further their Jewish identity.
- Connect students with a variety of opportunities including Hillel leadership positions, Jewish life on campus, jobs and internships, travel to Israel, Jewish and pro-Israel conferences and more.
- Collaborate with students and colleagues to develop new programs and help manage existing programs including Shabbat, tabling, Greek life engagement, Israel education, and more.
What You’ll Get Out of It
- Professional development to enhance skills and gain expertise in different areas.
- A comprehensive benefits package.
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace commensurate with relevant experience. The salary range for this role is $30,000 - $40,000.
A Typical Day May Include
- Meeting with a group of students to understand how they are looking to be involved with Jewish life on campus and helping them to create a program around that.
- Have a brainstorming session with the team regarding new ways to engage students.
- Staff a Jewish Learning program with our Rabbi and 20 other students who are eager to learn.
- Assist students in creating marketing materials for upcoming programs and thinking of ways to increase involvement.
About Hillel of Metro Detroit
Hillel of Metro Detroit is overseen by a local Board of Governors who are responsible for the fiduciary well-being of the organization and its vision.
Hillel of Metro Detroit is a local partner agency of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD). JFMD works with 17 agencies to reach and serve the needs of people at every age and stage of life in the Jewish community of Metropolitan Detroit, in Israel and around the world.
Hillel of Metro Detroit is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.