The Jewish Community Council of Washington Heights is a nonprofit, social service agency dedicated to meeting the needs of the community through a broad array of programs and services that empower local residents and revitalize the neighborhood. The role of the Social Worker is to work effectively with clients and their families by assessing for client needs and providing a continuum of services. Additionally, the role includes engaging with community leaders and organizations
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess client needs and conduct intakes.
- Obtain appropriate documentation and information to assist in determining plans and interventions.
- Perform Case Management services to include assisting clients with applying for services.
- Provide information and referrals to clients regarding outside resources.
- Provide support and counseling services to clients in both individual and group settings.
- Determine client’s eligibility for financial assistance.
- Complete applications for assistance; maintain appropriate paperwork and database input in a timely manner. Maintain ongoing contact log notes and related documentation.
- Serve as liaison between children, adults, students, households, schools, family services, healthcare providers, legal entities, protective services, and other services. Work effectively with partner agencies.
- Attend trainings and seminars regarding topics related to work.
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity; treat each client with compassion, integrity, and respect.
- Create programs to respond to needs of community.
- Comply with demands of funding grants.
- Work collaboratively with all agency staff.
- Manage a large case load of clients.
- Other duties as requested and required.
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of the Washington Heights communities a plus
- Ability to perform public speaking
- Manage own time, priorities and resources to achieve goals while remaining flexible
- Must have the ability to work within a fast paced work environment and make appropriate and safe decisions
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the employee a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of their position. As the nature of the operation demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.